Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Unacceptable Proof of Graduation

Does anyone know if there is a website that lists Schools and their locations which have been deemed UNACCEPTABLE for "Proof of High School Graduation"? I've been told there are websites where you can purchase High School Diplomas.

There are definitely "diploma-mill" websites, but the problem with tracking them all is that there are new ones added as fast as others are shut down. And to make matters more difficult, a number of these sites are operating outside the country, making enforcement problematic. A state's Dept. of Ed may have a list of ACCEPTABLE high schools, however, and having this information would enable you to contact the qualified school if there's any doubt.

Nyssa,

You summarize the challenge well - it's an ongoing struggle and something we all need to be aware or to ensure we do not inadvertently admit a student who does not have valid credentials.

Traci Lee

It is mind boggling to me that these sites exist. Along with false licenses, its difficult to keep up.

After reading this chain, I thought of a recent issue that I heard about. If a potential student wishes to enroll, but graduated high school in another country, how can this be verified, especially if the person in question graduated fifty-plus years ago?

Is there a way to track out-of-country schools, or schools that have since closed down?? I don't think either of these would show up on school-approved websites.

Kristen,
Foreign credentials certainly add to the complexity of how to verify qualifications. AACRAO (http://www.aacrao.org/) and NAFSA (http://www.nafsa.org) both have some useful resources to assist with validation of such.

Traci Lee

We have the same problem with the southern states. Prospective students have come in to enroll and have been issued a weekend study course and awarded a High school diploma upon completion. Other instances have been that students are taken online courses a receiving High school diplomas both of which are not expected for students to receive students loans. That is the news story that I would like to see and not the ones that are attacking career schools on completion rates, placement rates, etc…

Yes, there are websites and they are considered "diploma-mills".

We have had students come in to enroll and provide us with diplomas received at non-accredited home schools and online schools in which no real work is done, you just pay about $300 and you get a 'diploma' and 'transcript'. We have contacted the schools if we question their validity and then we have to provide the news to the students that their diploma is worthless. The websites are not all inclusive, so you have to do your own homework when the name of the school is not recognizable. Oftentimes, the way the diploma is printed, missing seal, missing signatures, etc. can help in the investigation. Good luck.

Erica,
It's sad to see these types of false credentials so readily available. I applaud the efforts to validate suspicious documents.

Traci Lee

There are federal government websites that most school registrars are able to direct you to.

For foreign diplomas our school uses the database www.naces.org. On that site, there is a list of agencies to choose from that will evaluate the foreign diplomas.

For foreign diplomas our school uses the database www.naces.org. On that site, there is a list of agencies to choose from that will evaluate the foreign diplomas.

department of education as well as state agencies can guide you specifically if your school leads to licensing.

Sign In to comment