Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My Role as Instructor

As the instructor, my students share very personal issues with me. Many of the information shared is directly involved with their disability. Most of these students want to be treated like everyone else is treated.

Narcolepsy was experienced by one of my Math students. She was a very bright student, but was heavily medicated to keep her awake. The medicine corrected the issue of falling asleep randomly. However, the opposite effect of the medication was making her very agitated and nervous during class. She cannot not take the message. As an instructor, what is the best advice to give this student? I can only share my observations with the student.

Cindy,
The best you can do is suggest that she go back to her physician, tell him the difficulties she is having, and ask if there are alternative meds that might be tried. Maybe you can help the student decide how best to explain the problem to the physician, including specific examples of incidents you have observed.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I too, have had a individual that was having trouble staying awake, I encouraged him to seek help despite his concern of the medical expense.He was diagnosed. uses a CPAP machine and is now doing very well.

Russell,
Always great to hear stories about instructors who extend themselves and are willing to recognize individual needs and do something about them!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment