Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

FERPA

For the students that are interested, we have FERPA Release Forms they can sign. If someone calls claiming to be a student requesting any information we have them give us certain details such as DOB, SS#, Graduation Date, etc. before giving details. Are there additional quidelines we should follow for over the phone requests?

Sandra ,
I'll be interested to see if others chime in with their policies to verify a caller's identity. There are many articles, whitepapers, etc. available that speak to various "levels" of security control questions. Many are provided by companies that sell services and devices so, it may be good to ask this and other networks of peers for guidance.

Traci Lee

Sandra,

My school has the same FERPA Release Forms that the students are given to fill out during orientation day where they can authorize who can we release information to. This includes Attendance, Financial Aid, Grades, Status, and Other.
The Career Services Department fills out another FERPA just specific to future employers, since some students do not want to release information to family members and/or futue employers.

Whenever someone calls asking for students information depending on who they say they are we check their ferpa form if its ok we ask them to identify themselves and ask them phone number and address that to see if it matches with the information the student wrote down.

If its a future employer, we ask them to submit something writen by fax or email.

I hope this helps.

We also use FERPA Release Forms that are completed at Orientation. Before discussing a student's academic, financial, or other matters, the FERPA Form must be checked. In addition, grades cannot be given out over the phone.

In this day and age the policy should be that we would not provide information over the phone. Today's technology allows us to require immediate signed documents by email, phone, Skype, etc..

This is an excellent point. Every time I have encountered a student and/or family member needing to gain information I am quickly able to get signed documents or the student simply comes to the campus to retrieve the information in person. Holding ourselves accountable to not releasing the information without prior approval is the key. If someone needs something they will find a way to take care of it and the resources are more often than not available to get what each party needs.

Aaron,
Well said. Sometimes the best way to provide good service is to "force" accountability from the client/student/customer. It's similar to when stores require identification along with a credit card. Some customers may be annoyed by that but, I appreciate the diligence to protect my identity.

Traci Lee

This is the same process we use at our institution. If the students needs there grades they would log in into the portal site and retrive them.

I feel as Massage therapist when we have public labs having individuals sign-in and list their therapist is always a challenge to protect individuals and to keep assessments private in the clinical setting.

Becky,
I have been to some offices that just use first names for sign in lists and full names on privately maintained paperwork. There may be other best practices to meet your needs if you check with other massage facilities or doctors and dentist offices that would have the same concerns for privacy.

Traci Lee

Sign In to comment