Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Helping Students Find There Career Path

As an incoming admission representative, I am excited to begin meeting with potential students to help them begin on a career path that will set up a foundation for their rest of the lives. It is very important to understand what the student is interested in and how those skills can be translated into a career path.
It is our job to guide the student into the program that fits their skill and personality set so they can parlay those skills into a successdul career!

LuvVon ,
I am impressed with your enthusiasm and your openness to all this. I just want to offer a word of caution. When you say "it is our job to guide the student into the program that fits..." I get a little worried that you may be steering folks into areas that seem logical and a good fit to YOU, rather than to the student. Helping them -- and directing them -- are two different things. You can help them explore options. Just make sure you don't let your own views overshadow theirs.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

As an Admissions Rep and Career Counselor, I have learned so much in this module and realized about being more cautious about giving advices based on assumptions about the abilities or potential of each and every incoming student applying to our career training programs.

Susan,
That's great to hear. That was the idea -- that folks would recognize potential, rather than just potential problems. I am sure the students you reach out to in the future will benefit from your new insight.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I work closely with the admissions team and feel you drive home a great point. There is a fine line between aiding someone with their decisions to choose the best career fit and "guiding/steering them". It goes back to another topic on stereotypes. Just because someone my feel that a potential student is limited to a desk job doesn't mean it's the best fit for the student…one can’t really know someone’s limitations based on a 30 minute conversation. Anyone with the determination and desire can push through hurdles. Only that student knows their true limits.

Shannon,
You are right. Our perceptions should never be allowed to limit someone's possibilities.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sounds like a wonderful way to help out aspiring college students.

As an Admissions Rep. I tend to find that there is a very fine line when comes to assist students to determine a career path that best fits them. On the other, even when we are not the ones who dictate their desire and determination when it comes to strive for a certain path, we are humans and we have to be humble and learn the hard way.(this does not only apply to people with disabilities).

Tanya,
If I am understanding correctly, you are suggesting that it is difficult -- but necessary -- to keep your own expectations and experience from coloring your advice to students with disabilities. That is, they need to know the options, not just the limitations. I couldn't agree with you more!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I used to do Admissions in the past, and I have to agree 100% with you, now that im part of the Financial Aid team I can definitely understand that our perceptions should never be allowed to limit someone's possibilities.

Carola,
I have a colleague who gives a presentation entitled, "Of blind mechanics and hemophiliac industrial arts teachers I have known." He says that, in truth, he has only known one of each, but it was enough to convince him to never say "never"!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I've come across this problem so many times in the past few years as an instructor of a dental assisting program. I know that "a bad back" is not quite a disability, however, as an instructor, how can I encourage the few students who have come to me with complaints of their back after they have been enrolled in the school? Seems unfair to them to have allowed them into the program for this particular field. As an assistant, you can't have a bad back! I give suggestions on exercise and health, but although admissions recommended the program to them, I know they will have a hard time in their career. How do I handle this?

Viviana,
It sounds as though you have already decided in your own mind that these students made a bad decision based on inappropriate advice from the admissions people. When you start saying things like "...Seems unfair to them to have ALLOWED them into the program..." you have potentially crossed the line from concern to interference. Be careful. These are adults you are dealing with, you deserve to be given the courtesy of allowing them to make their own decisions. You are right -- having a bad back is NOT a disability under the laws being discussed here. But if you want to exclude people with bad backs from being ALLOWED to enroll, it is only a quick trip to "do not allow students with disabilities into this field." And that is illegal!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

After 20 years in my field of cosmetology , I have met many individuals who spite their disabilities have successfully thrive at their jobs. A lot of them work with people with similar disabilities. They bring with them the love and conviction of succeeding in many given fields. It has shown me to inspire where needed.

Patricia,
I agree. I've seen students with disabilities do absolutely amazing things with their talents. Dedication and passion for a particular profession can make a huge difference in one's success.

Sarah Smoger

Sign In to comment