Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Importance of recognizing LD's early in student's academic career

As a child and again as a college student I continually had difficulty with math. The difficulties severely limited my direction in my education. My difficulties were also often written off as a lack of ability or a lack of effort. With the knowledge that came later in my life that I have dyscalculia, I realize that that was the root cause of my troubles with math. Had this learning disability been recognized for what it was earlier in my academic career, my path may have been different.

Mary,
It is always distressing to hear stories from folks who, like you, found out too late to alter their choices that the difficulties they faced were not of their making. I would hope that the state-of-the-art has improved and that fewer students today will face the frustrations of earlier generations.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Knowledge is very key and essential to success in education in various avenues. But in this case knowledge of the help needed and knowing where the problem stems from is very important to the student growing and understanding what they must do to be great in particular subject that doesn't come as natural as the others.

Londrea,
You are right -- understanding how the learning disability impacts will help the student with a learning disability find coping strategies that work for them. The only change I would make is that these coping strategies are generally based on learning TASKS, not on subject matter (that is, "multiple choice tests" vs "history tests."

Dr. Jane Jarrow

It is frustrating to think that it is the Edcational System that fails the struggling student to achieve their full potential. Instead the student's regression stems from self embarassment and lack of assitance to overcome the barrier that may be holdoing them from their full potential.

Darrell,
I am not sure "regression" is the word that you are looking for here. But attitudes can definitely create additional barriers for a student with a disability.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Darrell;

Exactly!! I could'nt agree more. But of course everyone has there own views on this including those that make the laws, but I stand firm on what I have experienced in various levels of education, not heard or read. Good post!!

My brother has severe dyslexia. He cannot read even as an adult. He was ignored in school and treated as an idiot. He is very good with his hands and has gotten a job as a welder. If his disability been addressed as a child, I'm sure he would have a better image of himself and may have had an improved ability to read.

Theresa,
Thanks for sharing. Access plays a very important role for those with disabilities-which is why we are seeing so many more students with disabilities entering college. Technology especially has made extensive developments in assisting those with learning disabilities. Imagine if your brother had access to audio books and speech-to-text software...

Sarah Smoger

Sign In to comment