Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ADD/ADHD

This course is causing me to reflect on my learning experiences through out my educational career. I have always loved history, english and social sciences but have a hard time with math and science. During tests, I would do well and get the answers correct but towards the end of the exam, I would get tired and distracted with the process and "throw away" the test buy just answering what i thought was the best choice.

Going back over the test, I knew most of the answers but was ready to finish the test. I think it is possible that I might have a slight ADD problem. Even going through this course, I have to write down every point to stay concentrated and prepared for the tests at the end.

Currently, I am enrolled in a Master's degree program and have to work espically hard to manage my time time, study and preapre for the tests and papers. Do you think ADD/ADHD is more common than we think?

LuvVon ,
It is certainly possible, but if the only time you have problems is in test-taking, it is less likely to be ADD/ADHD, which is usually more pervasive. But then again, it may be that it DOES show up in other areas for you and you just haven't recognized that the issue is one of attention (attention to detail, focusing attention, etc.). Certainly worth considering the possibility. You might start by doing a web search and looking for some "self-assessment" checklists online that would tell you the likelihood that there is something deeper to be explored.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Dr. Jarrow,
I agree with your response to LuvVon - there are many adults that have had difficulty throughout their education and are just now finding out that they have LD such as ADD/ADHD.

Growing up my dad had dyslexia, as did my older brother and 3 of his 4 children. My husband has ADHD as does our 10 year old son. It is heartbreaking hearing your loved one state they "are dumb". None of these family members are dumb; they just learn differently.

I find as an instructor I have much more empathy towards those with LD; and have worked to make sure they "get it". Especially teaching Medical Terminology where spelling counts - I try to teach little tricks to remember the terms and have had a possitive response.

That's exactly the kind of modeling I was referring to, Mardi. Instead of simply acknowledging differences, you have gone beyond and found a way to help students with disabilities succeed by working around their disability. Your willingness to see their POTENTIAL, and not just their limits, is what will (hopefully) rub off on others.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have two children that are 12 years apart in age. The oldest was identified as an Academically Intelectually Gifted (AIG) child and I spent 10 years teaching AIG children. Her younger sister has struggled in school especially with reading.

We tried lots of strategies and coping skills for school, reading and organization but it was not until she took an IQ test in the 3rd grade that my suspicions were confirmed that she had ADD. I find it interesting when working with the doctor they diagnos her as ADHD No H. She has a sensory stimulation of tickling her nose with her hair and just "checks out", she lacks short term memory and does not have sustained metal focus for any length of time. It is truly hindering her reading and test taking.

As the former AIG teacher and parent of another AIG child, it is frustrating to see her frustrations and what looks like lack of tenacity but is actually inability to focus and maintain cognitive sustainability.

Beth,
I, too, am the parent of a daughter with a disability. My daughter has cerebral palsy, and trying to shepherd her through the K-12 system taught me much about patience, about disability, and about the impact on learning. As much as we might wish that there were something we could do to make life (and learning!) easier for our children, the fact remains that every lesson we learn with our own kids helps us to be more insightful, more supportive, and more hopeful for students with disabilities whom we teach. They'll be better off for your experience and your empathy.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

My son has ADHD and I know how difficult it could be for people that have this learning disability. I have seen many students with ADHD make it in my 30 years as a teacher; However, there are always students that give up on themselves because they get so tired of trying and failing. I admire your commitment. I wish my son had your dedication.

Sor Angel,
I have learned, through the years, that there are many ways to people to excel (disabled or not), and that we need to be open to the fact that each will cope in his/her own way. My daughter, who has cerebral palsy, found that college was not for her. I was disappointed and frustrated FOR her, but realized that it was mostly because it was a path that was easy and worked for me, and I didn't know how to guide her in another. We're learning. Best of luck to you and your son!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have been diagnosed with ADD and my son has as well. It can make organizating and getting things done very difficult.

Jean,
I'll bet you've found some great strategies for keeping yourself on track. The tricky part is whether or not those same strategies will work for your son, or whether he needs to develop his own systems.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Yes, I do. ADD/ADHD appears frequently at school and also in the general population. In children some medication are often prescribed, but in my opinion it might not be the best decision for them. The best treatment for ADD/ADHD should include support at home and school, behavior therapy, exercises, and also proper nutrition and very organized daily routines.

Sign In to comment