Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Changing of America

The Civil Rights Acts of the 1960's has really shaped American for the better. In the past people with phyisical or mental handicaps were exlcuded from society as a whole and even locked away in institutions because society did not know how to accomdiate these people.Today it is common place to see wheelchair access, rails on stairwells and hanicap parking.

Some years ago, this was not the case. What are some other changes you have seen in the past few decades to make sure all American citizens are given a chance to make a living and be a productive member of society?

LuvVon ,
The discussion within the course materials regarding Universal Design gives a glimpse at some of this change, as well. Just keep in mind that access for people with disabilities extends way beyond architectural access. Services, programs, and ATTITUDES are important, too!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Greater inclusion of students with abilities k-12 in the educational setting and related social activities. Alos the de- institutionalization of adults with disabilities resung in their enjoying greater indendent living, greater access to vocational and social actities, and an increase in their inclusion in the community.

James,
You are right. There are lots of societal changes that are bringing about a change in the population of students with disabilities at the college level. As more people with disabilities are finding their way into mainstream society, more are having a chance to reach their full potential.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I think it's great there are options for people with disabilities. My only concern are the exaggerated excusing people use to claim they have a disbility. Not fair to the others.

Gloria,
This happens less often than you may think, but even when it DOES happen, I would rather provide unecessary extra help to those few who are "gaming" the system than to refuse help to a large group of students who can use it and deserve to be recognized for their abilities, not their limitations.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment