Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Physical Limitations

I recently had a student who was in a wheelchair taking my College Math course. As part of class, students are assigned questions and demonstrate answers on the board. I realized that John Doe was not participating as actively in the exercise. He was a very bright student that was an asset to the class. I talked to him privately to see how I could boost his confidence in coming to the board. He simply replied that he was only able to reach a very small part of the white board.

From that point on, I verified that John Doe had a reserved spot on the board to participate as actively as other students. I also apologized for not recognizing the limitation earlier. Privately, I was so disappointed that missed such an issue.

Cindy,
Don't apologize. You did EXACTLY the right thing. You approached the student, as you would ANY student who was not fully participating, and said, "what can I do to help?" He told you and you responded and made the problem a NON-problem. I think that is a triumph, not a disappointment. GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

There is a Nursing student on my campus who is confined to a wheelchair. She's extremely bright and I have no doubt that she will make it thru the coursework. I'm very concerned about how she will fare in the clinical setting. I dont know how to approach this or if it should be approached at all.

Sign In to comment