Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One of the biggest takeaways from this lesson was the concept of helping students succeed inspite of what is going on with them in their personal life. Considering the fact that students come to us with limiting beliefs about their abilities to do well in school as well as other stressors and personal problems that we may be unaware of, we must learn to understand them on a deeper level and create connections that with help to feel comfortable, believe in themselves, and thrive in their studies. One of the suggestions is to help students to build confidence by letting them know we believe in their abilities despite their circumstances. Simply knowing that others believe in them will significantly impact their personal confidence level and their ability to succeed. I plan to implement this more often especially when students come with reasons why the need an extension, course cancellation or withdrawal. Reminding them that we believe in their ability to succeed despite their short-term circumstances. 

Emotional intelligence is an important factor than IQ. It gives resilience, no matter the challenges or setback, the student with emotional intelligence can succeed. Also, having a higher EQ helps even at workplaces which is why it's very important that we instill this in students.

Comment on Rena Lloyd's post

The classroom should be a safe area where the students are able to ask questions without feeling embarrassed. Encouraging discussion and interactions with each other is an important part of the learning experience. When students are involved retention increases. 

It's important to create a friendly and interesting learning space. Encourage students to set goals they can actually achieve and pay attention to feelings and help students develop good qualities like being reliable, honest, and having a positive attitude. The idea is to make learning fun and right for everyone.

EQ is a powerful driving force. As educators we need to really help students see the vision to help them push through difficult times. Turning negative self talk into positive is an important part. 

I think it makes sense that students are more likely to believe in themselves when they can see others believing in them as well. 

I really believed that Emotional Intelligence is more important than IQ.

Making a positive impact is important. You need to advocate for students to help them continue their education

Everyone should feel welcome and comfortable in order to enhance their learning experience. 

Students are more  intrigued when they hear real-life experiences. It is important to be honest about your decisions and your reason for sticking with your goals.

Cultivating a good experience for student can make a difference in a letter grade knowing that there is support behind that student.

Connecting with students from the start is so important. Setting up a good comfortable environment for them to learn is very important. Everyone in the school should be welcoming to the students and try to connect with them to help them achieve their goals. I try to do my best in learning stories about my students to get to know them and better help them. 

Sign In to comment