Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

information that indicate needs for assistance can be utilize to personalize interactions. Identification student's strength can also be use to personalize interactions.

We do not normally share admissions information only because of the right to privacy issues and FERPA. However, some useful information might be prior education in the same subjects;and experiences at other schools.

I am not in Admissions. I am a faculty member, so I can't address this question directly. I know that personal information is not shared with faculty, due to privacy issues.

Gary,

We aren't speaking of 'personal' information here...but goals and obstacles to graduation. These are things that admissions personnel find out during the admission process and are helpful for faculty in retention efforts.

Susan Backofen

We learn their likes and dislikes as far as programs go.

Admissions collects information such as marital status, number of dependants - i.e children,
location of residence - house or apartment. Academic goals etc

I had a teacher from college recommend for us as students, to meet the person to the left and right of us, on the first day of class and to exchange phone numbers. This helped in so many ways. It was a great icebreaker, allowed us to get to know people on the first day, and helped in the future months if you needed to ask a peer for their opinion and/or assignments you didn’t get. It was a second way to make sure we had everything we needed. We could contact the teacher or a peer for help.

We have a very detailed admissions packet for the student to complete. It includes any prior education, what their expectations are, why they choose our school, what do they see as their most difficult challenge in completing the school, what was their prior schooling like and what they liked or disliked.

It also includes at least 6 contacts of people that do not live with them. All of these contacts are called and verified during the first week of enrollment. This has shown to be a useful tool when students come up missing.

im not admissions but being an instructor knowing their mode of transportation, children/ job issues to name a few

Information that is gathered on the student of course is protected. We can access some of the information within our computer system. The information can help faculty assess if there are issues involving financial aid or attendance problems. This is helpful to gain insight into any problems that may arise.

Roger,

Interesting! It also helps them build that support network of personal contacts to help keep them encouraged. Great idea!

Susan Backofen

Our school has an electronic system whereby we can access contacts, information gathering, problems, also any concerns or contact that has been made by any staff. This appears to be the ideal place to find out things that we might not be privy to on a regular basis. All departments use this system.

Jeannette,

Excellent! This centralized repository is an excellent way to keep everyone informed about students.

Susan Backofen

The admission process is private information and is typically not shared with faculty, mainly the director of the program if a special need is presented.
Personally, I do try and get to know a bit about each student as to help the communication between us a bit easier.

Our Enrollment Services representatives do not share with us the information that they gather on our students. However, at orientation, we do collect our own questionairre on the students that covers hobbies, family, children, and goals for their education. We also ask for email and phone addresses and then create a spreadsheet that is accessible to all faculty in our department.

The biggest part of information gathered by admissions that I draw from is hobbies, interests and career goals. These are easy to relate with especially if we have any of these in common. It really helps the students feel like we're all on the same level and that we have their personal interests in mind as much as their educational interests.

Robin,

Great idea to collect other information such as hobbies, etc. and especially the goals for their education.

Susan Backofen

Specifics about each student's background, such as past schooling, work experience, family situation, etc.

Hobbies, interests, living location, especially the career interests. With the instructors and program directors in the same career we can share many stories and experiences. Hobbies if any in common can be interesting to talk about. One method we use in our orientation is bingo, they have to go around the room and get all the boxes filled in. Questions are such as someone taller than you, same eye color, someone whose favorite food is other than pizza. the students have to walk around the room and speak to other students and staff. Whoever gets blackout wins a free T-shirt

Goals and career expectations, motivation, family life, any perceived roadblocks, past educational attempts. Our admissions department completes a rubric on each student and that is part of their academic file that the education department can use to help support the student if needed. The information is not shared with instructors unless it is necessary for the faculty member to provide the support that the student may need.

Sign In to comment