Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I'm not aware of what information is collected. I know we have to be careful about what we collect and share because of FERPA.

Admissions collects personal information such as name, telephone number, email address, interest, hobbies, reason for wanting to join the program, strength, weaknesses. Also, they collect education information like high school transcripts, entrance exam scores, learning disability paperwork, college transcripts.

Besides the obvious, such as if the student had a documented learning disability, etc., our faculty uses the first day of class for their students to introduce themselves and give their reasons for attending our college. The faculty then makes notes on each student so they can connect with the student throughout the module. Such as if the student emails the instructor that she will be absent because her child is sick, when the student returns to class, the instructor can ask about that child by sex, age, or even name. This makes the student feel like they are important to the instructor and college.

We are always informed of potential obstacles, car problems, baby sitting concerns, job requirements

We utilize a computer program that we are able to enter comments, concerns, or any information that is worthwhile to the success of the student. It is accessible to any of the faculty members and they are able to input any information that is concerning the student. Information such as illness, transportation issues, student contact, calls, or concerns.

We know that we must continue to give the student support and we do share information, when necessary, and only to the person who is on that need to know basis. We do not share student information to everyone just those individuals who are connected to that student at that given time.

We collect student's phone numbers and emails at the start of the semester to better communicate with them. We give them our phone numbers and email to better facilitate this also. We also ask who lives where to assist with RideShare opportunities, and remind them to begin their problem-solving strategies to assist with how they will handle sick days, car problems, and to encourage them to seek support on the front end of such issues to prepare them.

Lise,

WONDERFUL! This is a program you specifically made for your needs or something that was purchased? Do you find it helpful?

Susan Backofen

As I teach the first module in our program--so my class is the student's first experience of our academic program--I have found that admissions reps can assist with student retention be sharing pertinent information on an as needed, by student basis. For example, we have a system set up, called a "blinker". Instructors send out a mass email blinker whenever a student is two consecutive days absent to class. This blinker goes to senior management, other faculty, admissions, and career services. Other department personnel then move into action if they have already formed a connection with the student in need. They will call the student or send relevant information to the instructor to assist with student retention.

On the first visit a "potential" student makes to campus, they are interviewed by the admission's Rep. This interview is beneficial in obtaining some pertinent information.

One of the first things the admission rep asks, prior to discussing the programs, is how long they have been thinking about this and have they discussed this with family, friends, etc. The Rep. will then ask if whom they have talked with, "Are they supportive." This is effective in discovering if a support system exist before enrollment.

Another question used is "If we could enroll you today, what would prevent you from doing so." This allows us to gauge what possible obstacles they might face such a time, $, etc.

During this interview, the admission Rep. also distinguishes previous work history; specifically what they liked and disliked. This helps aid them in which program may be a better fit. Afterall, if they were to choose a program such as medical assisting, yet the potential student has claimed not to like people, then we would be setting them up for failure. Hence, they may not make it through the program if they are not doing something they enjoy.

The Admissions Department interview is beneficial to gathering information during the interview process that reveals, to a certain extent, many factors that will help aid the faculty effectively personalize interactions with students.

Admittedly, the faculty and admission's department needs to communicate this information better. After reading through this module I realized we all have this information at our disposal through numerous questions asked on the interview questionnaire. However, most of this info is not passed on but rather placed in the student file.

As the Career Service Rep., I make a point to go through the student file because I gain valuable information when aiding in externships and job placement assistance. Moving forward, I am going to reiterate to the faculty to do they same as we have just learned that this could play a vital role in personalized interactions with students, which in turn, can not only help with retention but also with the success of the student.

Because of privacy laws, we do not share information between staff/ faculty. Now in conversation, outside of the admission portion. If a student told you of a special talent or an interest in helping within a community. Then we may lead them in the right direction to help them become more involved in campus activities .

Demographic Information and academic background of our students are collected and shared with the departments that will be in contact with the new students. Actually all the information that the admissions representative get is entered in a system from whoever who is authorized can have access to.

We have students fill out a 1,3, and 5 year Goal sheet which also asks why they decided to attend class, what there future goal are, if they have any previous licensures even if it doesn't pertain to anything we teach, what there present position (job) related is etc. Then we introduce this in a round robin for about a 2 min, introduction to the whole student body. This goal sheet is kept in the admissions enrollment file but all teachers can read it plus it is also an exercise that will be brought back in the business part of there programs.....to see if there goals have changed. But, I do like the idea of the "Heaven Forbid".

Ginny,

I really like the idea of 1, 3 and 5 year goals for the students. It makes them think longer-term than just getting through a class or their program and focuses them on their real goals. Great idea!

Susan Backofen

I am a faculty member taking this module to learn how to support my institution's retention efforts.
What I normally do (which is spoken to in the past section just completed) is provide each student with a name plate and ask them to step up to the front of class and share with the class the three successes they have enjoyed in life.

As well, in the second class I will give them a scenario, ask them to work on their own for 10 minutes, then get them into groups of four to six people to collaborate and share their views.

I have found that in the first two classes these steps help each student view the classroom environment and my support for their success in a much brighter light.

Kevin,

This is a great exercise...haven't read anyone using the three successes as the question. Great idea!

Susan Backofen

Admissions staff typically as the following questions during interview meetings: How will an education and career improve the quality of your life? What skills are you looking to gain from the program of study? What prevented in the past from reaching your goal? If Faculty had access to the new student questionnaire, it is likely that she/he may be able to better maximize transfer of learning by understanding the barriers that prevented a student from being successful, as well as, gain insight to better close learning gaps.

Overall entrance scores which depending on how they do are indicators on if they are at high risk and need additional support within their first month of classes. The students complete an interest sheet and we share this as well.

Our students are given a DiSC assessment for personality styles. This information is presented to the student in their first class. It helps the student understand their way of viewing obstacles and overcoming them to achieve success. This information is also given to instructors to understand how to better manage, teach to and with, and direct the student in each of their classes. We also have information on a student's likes, dislikes (ie: favorite desserts, animals, cars, etc.) and their goals, reasons they started school, what they see their life like in a few years, and who they will invite to their graduation. We keep this on file to help with conversations with students who may be discouraged or loosing their momentum during a tough class.

James,

I agree. These are great questions that can really help the students stay on track to achieving their educational goals. Sharing this information with faculty and advisors would be very beneficial.

Susan Backofen

Lynda ,

Great! The DiSC is an excellent tool and the more familiar students are with themselves and understand how/why others behave differently is a wonderful advantage in life.

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment