Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Faith--

AWESOME! I really love the idea of the 'Heaven Forbid' paper. That is really a great idea.

Sounds like you are doing an excellent job of collecting and sharing the appropriate information.

Susan

I think that having the student write a letter with their goals and aspirations is a great idea. We currently are not using anything like this but I would like to start. You called it a "letter". Is it in the form of a letter as if they are writing it to themselves so that they can read it again at the end of their program?

What other questions do you ask them to encourage their creative juices to flow during the writing process. I know that Orientation is a hectic time with so much information being thrown out at one time, giving them this time to sit and reflect sounds great.

Please tell me more.

Tammy

I would love to hear more about the "Heaven Forbid" paper. Could you e-mail me a blank copy? My e-mail address is tgilliam@vc.edu. It sounds like it would be a very positive and fun tool.

Tammy

When I was teaching I always started my classes with this. Next week I start as the Director of Education and will definatly implement this practice on a much larger level. My students loved to receive their letters back when they graduated. It really is such a great motivator.

C.

Good for you--implementing these types of practices college-wide will make a huge difference.

I REALLY liked this idea. It helps the students to face their fears and frustrations and can also be a great retention tool. But giving them back at the end is an outstanding touch.

Congrats, by the way, on taking on the Director of Education role.

We believe support and encouragement from 3rd parties is crucial to the success of the student. We identify these support systems in the admissions process and in fact, interview them, regarding their level of support and awareness of the goal, the program etc. It would be great to have the student list this person and his/her phone number on that "letter", "heaven forbid form" etc. In addition to what do you want me to tell you if/when you think of withdrawing, who do you want me to call to bring in to help you through this with me? Just a thought.

Tammy--

Great additions! I especially like the idea of including the 'what do you want me to tell you if you think about withdrawing'. The importance of including the support system (3rd parties) is critical to the student's success. Excellent process to include them in the Admissions process. I'm assuming that information then gets passed on to faculty or whomever works with students on retention issues.

Susan

I just wanted to know if you have been succssful at implementing the letter idea at a college level. This sounds like a fantastic idea and I would really love to do it! Do you have a list of specifics that you ask the students to include in their letters?

Beth--

The letter idea IS a wonderfuly one, isn't it? I think it is especially helpful to utilize along the way when students may get discouraged. And, they really find them inspirational to receive back at graduation. It helps them to realize how much they really have accomplished.

My understanding of the concept is pretty simple: Why they are attending---what are they goals and aspirations? What will completing their college education do for them? This is followed by identifying the 'heaven forbid' things that could keep them from completing their education. Additional questions could be added such as 'if I think about leaving before graduation, tell me......' or 'people who will be proud when I walk across the stage and receive my diploma are.....'

Susan

Our Admissions reps note in their records personal information on students, such as their interests, obstacles, and the students with whom they are friends.

We do not routinely share this with faculty, nor do we introduce faculty members at orientation. After reviewing this module, I can see how doing both would be beneficial.

What privacy issues need to be considered when sharing this information?

Sharon--

Student information is made available to those with a 'need' to access it. Faculty clearly could make good use to assist students in attaining their educational goals by having interests, obstacles, etc. available.

The module on involving faculty at orientation also discusses methods of having faculty collect this information themselves.

Obviously, this is not information that you would want to post anywhere, but having it easily accessible to faculty and staff so they can personalize their interactions with students to help them stay in school and graduate is a huge benefit.

This is an amazing idea a small detail that can make a significant difference as a student is going through the program, this is one idea I want my school to adopt!

AMEN! The effectiveness is in sharing the appropriate information in a centralized manner so that whomever is in charge of retention efforts can see the big picture!

Susan

When completing the school application, the student is asked, "Why do you want to get into this program?" From this information, the instructor can clarify the statement in order to ensure the student's expectations of the program are attainable and accurate. In addition, this will help to reinforce the expectations of their fellow classmates.

The instructors receive a copy of the student's interview. Having access to this informtion allows the instructor to learn more about the student and develop appropriate plans to help the student succeed.

Things like name, number, email addresses. Also, family members of the student. Is the student married, single, have children, or have unique pets.
If the student is coming from an hour commute, you could let the insturctors know just to see if there is someone else coming from that area! Perhaps they could car pool and save on gas.

I like the idea of admissions sharing with the instructors so the whole team can get invovled!
Kevin Asberry

Kevin--

This helps to promote a smooth hand-off between Admissions and the faculty. Students appreciate not having to tell their story over and over. It also makes it feel more personal...like the institution truly knows them as an individual.

Susan

Admissions representatives often have information about the student's goals, background, and possible challenges to completing their educational program. This information is not typically passed on to education, although it would be helpful it it were. At our campus, the faculty often seeks out the student's admissions rep when issues surface. Admission is very helpful in working with education in retention efforts.

This is most often the case. Students really do tell their admissions representative a lot about their hopes, fears and barriers. This information often does not get passed along to assist in retention efforts. It is great to hear that your education personnel do circle back, however, to get a better perspective concerning student issues.

Susan

Students goals and dreams, perhaps where the students have came from. using this information Instructors could share some of their backround that may be similar to the students.

Sign In to comment