Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dawn,

Excellent! This information is so helpful in personalizing our interactions and retention efforts

Susan Backofen

Devin,

This is a great perspective about students and their prior education. You are correct, the reasons they left could be very important to know and address at the start.

Susan Backofen

That is a great idea~ I will try this too. :)

At this point I have not receive information about students that would assist to personalize interactions . However this is a great idea and could be useful in our institution

student records personal information on students, such as their interests, obstacles, and the students with whom they are friends.

I am an adjunct instructor at my campus and teach one class per term. I honestly do not know the answer to this question. What I believe would be helpful is to have an orientation process for adjunct instructors to help acclimate them also. Perhaps having this information available on a 1 page fact sheet could be a part of the orientation process. I will make a guess as to what information is collected that might help personalize students at orientation, I would say cultural groups, single parents, car pooling opportunities. I believe these types of circumstances are very real for our culture and population of students.

Our admissions reps introduce potential students to Lead Faculty during their admissions tour. During this informal meeting the student and their guest/parent has a chance to ask any questions they have regarding the program, and receives contact information for their Lead Faculty. This helps in establishing an initial relationship with the student. We don't currently have a data sheet, like some of the other forum participants, but this is an excellent idea that I would like to implement at orientation.

Isabella,

I agree! Adjunct faculty have a very difficult time of acclimating and providing appropriate institutional resource/direction to students because we often don't provide appropriate resources to them!

Susan Backofen

During orientation, the students each introduce themselves by sharing where they are from and why they decided to come to our school. They also fill out learning questionnaires that ask questions regarding their learning styles (subjects they liked and disliked in school) and what they like to do as hobbies, and also what jobs they've had in the past. They are basically asked their likes and dislikes. They also do icebreaker exercises to learn more about each other and what they have in common.

We collect any biographical data on the student that way we can keep track of contact information, email, and addresses.

Admissions reps often make notes about potential students/enrollees, within our database. Generally, these notes touch upon points such as relocation, previous schooling in our field, or anything other information that would be helpful in approaching the student.

I work in education. Our system is heavily compartmentalized. We can only share information that is allowed under the guidelines our company provides.

Some things we collect in admissions that helps with interactions are: previous school subject likes and dislikes (everyone hates math!), names of friends/family currently in the field of interest, support system, potential obstacles. All of this information is good for figuring out who the student is, where they're going, and how we can help get them there.

Our course structure only lasts 3 weeks before a new class is introduced. It is a fast paced technical learning environment which leaves personalization information from admissions to the faculty impossible. Although detrimental in some aspects, too much personalization between faculty and students leads to the misconception of favoritism.

Jim ,

Excellent. This is the type of information that we can all use to keep the student focused on their goal.

Susan Backofen

This is wonderful! We do something very similar to this, and I find it to be very helpful and it shows the students we are on top of things from the get go... its great for retention.

information collected during Admissions that Faculty could utilize to personalize interactions with students at orientation - Their family support systems and any forseen interruptions during the program

We do not have access to the information in Admissions. I create a family type environment in my classroom. I want us to hold each other accountable, but also feel that we can speak opening about any issue.

Could you share this with me?

Students need to have a buddy classmate. They can study together, call each other for missed assignment, help solve each others issues, like transportation problems, and encourage each other.

Sign In to comment