Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The admissions reps at my school collection information such student's work schedule, transportation issues and any childcare issues to help prevent any retention issues.

as instructors we have to be very cautious of the info we share about our students. I like the idea of letting students introduce themselves and share why they are here. this may place common interests or concerns out there for students to share.

During the admissions process we identify students who are traveling to school, looking for housing, or is new to the city. We work with these students to make sure that they are getting acclimated to the city. It would be good for faculty to have this information so they can work with those students, make sure they're doing well, or help them meet other students who are in the same situation as them. Also their personal email addresses and phone numbers so instructors can call/text when needed. Also we identify students who are at-risk during the admissions process who have dropped out of a college before or who have a learning disability. We talk to these students and make a plan before they even enroll to ensure their success.

There are personal notes that admissions collects on students that show the following:

single student objective, best action commitment, minimum acceptable action commitment, student's personal commitment, and any basic issues. When Admissions meets with any potential student, this information is then sent out to the academics department especially the program director of the specific program.

Vanessa,

Excellent! This is exactly the type of information that everyone can use to assist the students in attaining their goal.

Susan Backofen

Federal Laws limits to some extent what information can be shared between departments. Retention is a key factor that I use as a measuring stick as to student involvement. All of us at one point have set through a rather long and boring presentation from a professor in college with absolutely no interest at all. Student “fade out” as I call it, which can cause students to fade out of class within the first or second week time frame due to a disconnect with the course material and teacher. This is when other departments are notified about this student’s activity and in our case; student services will contact the student and find out what is going on. Sometimes it is student fear, unsure of the course and what it will do for their education, or sometimes they just don’t feel like they fit in. Sometimes it may be financial aid issues, in each case I believe it is the responsibility of the educator to seek help from other departments to help the student and keep them in class and enjoy the learning process.

Garry,

LOL I agree, FERPA training can be long and tedious. The information I am referring to here, however, doesn't interfere with FERPA. I am speaking specifically of things Admissions typically collects regarding barriers to goal completion, etc. This is helpful for others in the institution to know to assist in retention.

Susan Backofen

We give out student phone #'s to faculty as they are required to call /contact students if they do not show up for class.

The only information that we have ever looked at is entry test scores. However, for me, I do not put much weight in those scores because some students are simply not good test takers. In fact, I asked to take the same admissions tests that our students take and the large count-down stop-watch drove me crazy! (...And I am a doctoral candidate) Additionally, we know how many cohorts will be in each career field. Beyond that- I cannot say that I know anything else. But, that is going to change after the new knowledge that I've gained.

Admissions completes a Student Vision Record (SVR) with every student that is interviewed and enrolled into our program. The SVR provides background information about the student from work experience to previous educational experience. This information is helpful to she what type of skills that the students my have gained of their lifespan and where they feel that may need to strengthen. The SVR also provides detail information regarding why the student decide on the new career and where he/she is looking to take the career.

Fatina

This is excellent information and really what I am talking about regarding sharing information that is gathered in admissions--all very helpful in the retention process.

Susan Backofen

We have our students answer some questions on a form called "Tell us a little bit about your self." This is kept in our DOE office and a teacher can go there and review the information to help them better understand the students in their class.

Works well with shy student, because you can engage them in conversation about their intrest and help break the ice.

We have a 'readiness' questionnaire that we utilize to gauge a students preparation for school. It asks about transportation and support and asks them to assess any impediments to their completing school.This can then be utilized by the instructors in their initial students interactions before our followup new start 1 on 1's.

Our admissions process includes a readiness questionnaire with school preparatory information. It collects information to be used to assess a students mindset and impediments to success. This can be used by our faculty in their initial student classroom orientations. However, because we have all faculty perform new start 1 on 1's and a survey, we have a more robust process around integrating students into our environment.This fosters an inclusive mindset for our new students who feel like they are an important part of the class with all the attention.

We do this as well on the Students first day in class. It has been very helpful for both the Student and in retention.

I agree with the buddy system,we encourage it,frequently some of our students meet on weekends to have study groups.

We collect information regarding barriers to enrollment and employment, concerns, goals, motivation, support systems, and educational backgrounds. I don't think that faculty using that information in an orientation discussion setting would serve the student. Orientation is the first time that the students and the faculty are meeting and a relationship must be built before discussing those types of issues. You also want a student to leave orientation feeling included and not isolated because of their particular issues. However, the admissions representative could connect students with appropriate resources based on their needs and allow the student to disclose if they feel comfortable. Giving that person (resource) background prior to that introduction can help them be in a better place to assist the student. I believe that beyond that example the information can be used in a general format.

I believe the most important information to collect in admissions is what can keep them from class. Work, child care, transportations. It help everyone be aware of how we can try to help them before it happens.

Sign In to comment