Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Some of the information that is collected that best helps faculty interact with students at orientation is the students hometown, place of employment or prior employment and where they may have gone to high school or any other post secondary education school.

We try to let students know what each department does and who there contact person will be. I think the more departments work together the more we can help the students feel like they have picked the right program.

We recieve NO information from admissions about students. I am an instructor and start a new class blind every three weeks. Occasionally an instructor will come warn me about a student coming into my class next course. We do not attend orientation, I do not even know when it happens. We typically have starts of 100 to 300 students at a time, I would not know what to do with bios on all those students. I do teach one of the early program classes and see most of the students at some point in thier time here. More knowledge would be helpful, but where to start, and how do you get around all the privacy acts in place in a letigis state like California?

Matt--

Regarding the privacy issues, FERPA et al allow for sharing of information on a 'need to know'. The information shared with faculty should be focused on things that will help that student succeed.

My guess is that even though you don't receive any information, you generally gather it (again) by interacting with the students and/or faculty sharing that among themselves as you have indicated. The point of this suggestion is that the 'learning curve' is significantly decreased for the rest of the institution to be able to help students sooner if that information is shared somehow.

I agree, you don't have time to read lengthy bios, etc. Do you have some type of activity int he first week of classes that allow you to get a feel for the students?

Susan

We're very careful with what we disclose due to FERPA. The students meet their lab instructors on orientation and the instructors may collect information at that time. We assign the students faculty advisors within the first 5 days of the term. An assignment in one of their first classes is to go on a Scavenger Hunt, and part of that hunt is to meet their faculty advisor and exchange e-mail. This advisor could be a current instructor, or they may have them in class in future. It is one more person on campus they can go to for help, and it is one more person on campus who will be contacting them if they miss class or go on academic probation.

Juliette--

I really like the scavenger hunt, making it fun for students to acclimate to campus resources.

You do have to be aware of FERPA, however this does not exclude providing appropriate information with their advisor that will assist the student in attaining their educational goals.

Great job

Susan

I feel that the admissions department should do their part and education should do their part. It is admissions to get the student her, and education to teach the student. It is ok for people to know processes, but over involvement can cause a counter production.

Every applicant submits a 1-2 page autobiographical essay on what led the to chose this career and this school. I ask for a little background on their lives and what they expect to be doing 5 years from the time they begin our program. We also require letters of recommendation for each applicant. These two tools come in very handy for the faculty as they prepare for the new semester and the new students.

What academic struggles they have faced in the past, and what classes they forsee giving them problems in the future. This allows us the opportunity to get a head start on preparing them for those classes, and finding them peer mentors for those classes.

The admissions reps are the people that students meet first and feel their first connection with. The reps get to know the students' interests, influences, and any special circumstances that may effect their education such as family care issues or transportation difficuties. At our school, we can do a better job of having our Admissions Reps pass that information on to their academic advisors.

Michael--

That will make a huge difference for the students and they will also feel like the entire institution is there for them.

Many students are frustrated having to explain the same thing/situation to multiple students.

Additionally, the admissions personnel will be able to articulate barriers so you can be mindful and identify those problems proactively.

Susan

We find out what challenges are ahead for the students such as ride share, housing , study groups etc.
We also introduce students to other students that may be looking to provide services for others.

We have them fill out an information sheet that asks them if they're nervous about returning to school, comfortable with a computer, responsible for children/work in addition to school, etc. It gives the faculty insight into how much baggage the student is bringing in with him or her. We find it to be very useful.

Kim--

Excellent! Several other institutions have indicated they have new students write these types of things out...and also indicate their biggest fears about school. They keep them and return them when they are ready to graduate.

Susan

As an instructor it would be helpful to be made aware of any challenges the student might be facing that could effect their involvement in the classroom. I also feel faculty should be present to make students feel welcome at beginning the new experience.

I'm sure our admissions people collect a lot of information that could be used to help personalize interactions with faculty, but very little, if any of it is shared. This is largely due to privacy concerns and legal issues. I have found the best way to personalize student-faculty interactions is to just listen and offer help and or advice when it's needed.

Tim--

The privacy/legal issues allow for appropriate sharing of information if there is a 'need to know'. That's a fine line, I understand. However, some information that is collected in Admissions would be completely appropriate to pass along to faculty who are working with students to achieve academic goals.

That said, your method of listening and offering suggestions and support is always an excellent and effective approach. At the end of the day, that is what people need and want.

Susan

Some information would be job status and transportation as these are the most common deciding factors in students performance in school.One could use the information to facilitate students experience while in school.

Job status and transportation are important for academic performance. Family issues play a very important role as well. Students should see this aspect as a helping factor and surely the main reason to complete their programs. Following up this aspects will help promote success.

The first 2 days of the students first class we don't teach we learn and set expectations for their educational experience at our school. We pretest so they set a base for themselves. We do a lot of student interaction functions to build a bond between the students and with the Instructor. We bring in several people for Support Staff, Student Services, Financial Aid, Employment Services ect. Then we take them on a complete tour of the facility. The whole idea is to make them comfortable with their surroundings and staff. This helps for a strong start.

Sign In to comment