Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Information on the student's hometown can help with making student more at ease during orientation.

Knowing if there are any student disablities, schedule changes, if the student is looking for a particular job experience there are chefs that may have some knowledge, and contact information.

Hi Chris. During the orientation process our student services provides each new student with a needs assessment form. The form asks the students if they have transportation, day care, home support, etc, etc and if they foresee any obstacles which might hinder their education. The form has truly helped us identify and get resources for students before they run into a problem. The form is reviewed by students services first then the department notifies the DOE and the instructor to come together to come up with other resolutions. They students love it and they know we care. When we call the student to meet with DOE and instructor we let them know we care and provide them with the resources we have found for them based on the assessment form they completed.

Our admissions collects some personal information, but we don't really see it. I get more information by just visiting with and listening to my students. I don't think you can really teach them if they don't trust you and that means getting to know them.

gary,

Excellent point, Gary. It is wonderful that you take the time to do this.

Susan Backofen

We collect info on hobbies and extracurricular activities that the students may have been involved in during high school. Any friends or families that may have gone to post secondary school. This info could give a baseline on the interest of the student and the support system they may have.

Eva,

The hobbies and extracurricular activity information could be very helpful for identifying potential student activities and leaders in specific areas. Great idea.

Susan Backofen

Student information is only shared through the use of a campus management program in which notes of interactions are recorded and viewed on a need to know basis.

We try to inform our faculty with as much information as we can regarding the students to better familiarize themselves with each of their students. Other than the basic information of their names and where they are from we try to provide additional information such as where they work, what they do and why they chose the program. This helps the faculty familiarize before the orientation and when they address the students personally it usually makes the student more at ease with the program.

Our Admissions team does not regularly share student information with faculty unless it is somehow impacting their start at the college. I think it would make a tremendous difference for faculty to have that information. As for the orientations themselves, we begin with all students together but break them into groups by program where they can interact with faculty who will be teaching their classes. It is a great opportunity for the faculty to discuss their specializations and get to know where their students' interests lie.

Admissions collects such personal information about students such as their likes, strengths, obstacles to success, etc. This information is shared with the program directors, but not the faculty. Program directors also do a SWOT analysis with the student to identify student perceptions of their strenghts and weaknesses. While I'm OK with sharing some of this with faculty, I have privacy concerns.

Our Admissions' representatives collect information about the new student including their goals in school, previous schooling, previous experience in the industry, special interests, and any challenges the student might have with completing their program.

Unfortunately, our student data base is not set up for faculty to easily access this information. After reading this module it may be in our best interest to find a way to get that information to the faculty.

Mary,

I think having this information is helpful for faculty to see what the experience, motiviation, obstacles, etc. are for their incoming class.

Susan Backofen

I have found if students share phone numbers, etc. they find out they live close to each other and end up car pooling or assisting other students for ride share.

Currently we share information with admissions when they do their walk around, they may introduce us to them and share a hobby or an educational goal. This rapport helps as they come into the classroom.

I see this as a very sensitive area because of FERPA and ADA restrictions. Departments need to be careful what they share, where and why.

We have a school support sheet that the student fills out ...it is a list of there close friends and family that we might contact...in the event that s/he falls behind or is obviously having some issues

Our Admissions group collects information about the students history and their future expectations. We also gather information about why they want a particular field of study and why they chose that field. Each instructor is then given this information in order to better prepare the student for their classroom experience. It also allows each instructor to connect with students on and individual level and learn something about them personally.

Our admissions office collects additional information from the prospective student such as interests, hobbies, and personal information that may interfere with the student successfully completing their education. They ask what subjects interested them in High School, to get an idea of what topics sparked interest. This information is shared on a need to know basis with faculty and advisors, and is meant to help everyong get to know the student.

Mark,

Excellent. This is exactly the type of transitional 'hand off' that is helpful for faculty and others to assist the student in achieving their goals. Great job!

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment