Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

You should never discipline a student in front of another student so what students see about there classmates should be only knowledge of the instructor .

Linking past work experiences is probably one of the biggest influencers here. In my experience, students often find it difficult to find meaningful worth in the work they did prior to their desired area of study at the college. There is worth in everything I believe and it is part of our job to be optimistic and help the students realize that there is something they can build on from their past work (or other experiences)- this will also help to validate who they are, how they've become who they are, and who they will become after your program.

A Student background and entry test scores would be a help in understanding a student issue.

sheila,

Having an exercise that builds 'community' and also gets them up and moving is great!

Susan Backofen

Robert,

Agreed. As discussed, and especially adults, students are not happy with their current situation which prompts them to enroll. Taking that situation and building upon it is a very healthy practice. And there is always something positive to be learned from a bad situation. Another skill we can help them acquire.

Susan Backofen

I am friend with several admissions personnel and I know they collect info like areas of interest, phone numbers, hobbies etc. but this information is not share to faculty before orientation.
It would be definitely useful to have this information before orientation to have better interaction with them.

Our admissions dept. completes a "Roadmap" with the students - that details their career goals - in my opening class sessions we have discussions on those goals as well as what factors will lead to their success in both the classroom and in achieving those goals.

David,

Wonderful! This is a great example of reinforcing goals and 'plans' across departments.

Susan Backofen

One of the things we can use is why they decided to attend our college. They also collect information about any challenges they might experience such as child care or transportation issues. These allow you to help the student to understand what is expected from them and will allow the instructor to be aware of extra support the students may need

Our admissions reps share information on students such as previous work history, hobbies and interests, family issues such as child care or transpotation problems - anything that might be relevant in retaining the student at the school. Also, it is easier to mentor a student if you know what their specific interests are.

In the orientation process, a lot of information is collected through various paperworks and surveys. Some info is placed on campus website and easily accessible. Faculty and staff may use this information to make interaction and intervention possible. The sharing information is always a serious matter for the privacy rights of students must be respected.

I usually meet prospective students before Orientation when the Admission Reps gives them a tour of the the facility.At this point prospective students and I have the opportunity to connect ,I would provide valuable information about the class I teach,a little about my professional background ,also I find out more about a prospective students'expectations, goals, and motivation.A prospective student also has the chance to interact with their future classmates and ask how they feel about the training received in my class.I want to make sure that before starting the training a student would know that we both have the same goal: training that would lead to a successful career.I think that meeting with prospective students before Orientation would help the students even more to realize that he/she chose the right program/school to achieve their dream in getting a rewarding career, that would change their lives.From my experience over the years I know that a student could see from the start if I'm honestly concerned with their learning experience leading to the employment in the chosen field.Once a strudent see that we genuinely care about their learning experience and success,he/she would open up and share with us their concerns, and past learning experiences, etc.

Mary,

Exactly! This is the type of information that is useful in assisting the student with achieving their educational goals.

Susan Backofen

Sebastian,

This sounds like an excellent format for making students comfortable and getting to know them as individuals.

Susan Backofen

Each student fills out a short form with reasons why the decided to enroll, goals, concerns, family and leisure activities.

I either get these directly from admissions or access electronically to better understand, support and motivate students as well as attempting to address concerns as early as possilbe.

At my institution we hand out paper so that the new students can write theirs goals and how they learn best. It is then the students decision to share that with their instructors, we also encourage them to do so.

To help personalize interactions with students at orientation, the goals and barriers information that are supplied by each student, should be shared with the class instructor. This would help the instructor identify key elements about each student and the class as a whole.

Introducing faculty to the new students or possibly students.

The Buddy system strongly works in our enviroment. student are incouraget to connect with their peers.sometime its 2-3 groups in my classes. It really helps the students

Admissions collects information about previous schools, if any that the students have attended. This allows us to see if there is a trend with the student. If this is their first school they have nothing else to compare it to. Therefore, we need to make a good impression and make it to where they have a great experience so that they won't want to leave. On the other hand, if they have been to several schools we would want to know why they left the other schools to ensure that we are meeting their expectations because they often leave because they fail or are dissatisfied.

Sign In to comment