Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As an instructor I don't know all the information that is gathered in admissions. I think a Faculty in service would be beneficial to inform us of the information gathered. Also a dossier on each student listing pertinent information such as their interest,friends,goals,family education,history.

When it comes to our students, we have ours fill out individual cards with personal contact information as well as give a brief background about ones self.

The simply things and facts about students create a more personal connection. IE: favorite foods/hobbies/interests. Knowing these details helps in establishing a "home" like feel and atmosphere for easy learning.

I collect any negative situations that students will have, such as transportation or child care issues. I also look to see if the students have any learning disabilities or physical disabilities that will hinder their progress in my classes.

We use a student questionnaire. It asks the student about themselves. Why they want to attend school. It asks them if there is any adversity that they can think they will face while attending, and what they can do to over come it. The questionnaire asks them about some of their interests. It also asks them their basic demographic information. The faculty involved with orientation look over these to make it easier to personalize interactions with our new students.

Travis,

How do you collect these and what types of actions or resources do you provide once the barriers are identified?

Susan Backofen

When a student comes in for a visit to see if they would like to come to school here they spend time with admissions answering questions, is it hard, will I have a lot of homework, will I be the oldest on in class? Admissions schedules a time for the student to come in and tour the school, meet the teacher, observe class, and if needed sit one on one with teachers or student service to have all of their questions answered.

Bonnie,

This is an excellent practice! Having prospective students sit in on a class and meet with the faculty helps them to get a feel for the expectations right away.

Susan Backofen

I have struggled with how to pair students up with each other because we have students start every Monday, sometimes 1 and sometimes 10. Obviously, if more than 1 student starts in the same program, they typically connect that day and have a buddy for their tenure. If less start, it's more difficult. However, while reading this post, I came up with an idea. How about during orientation, we give them an assignment for their first day and they have to introduce themselves to at least 2 people in their classroom, whether it be the 2 people that they sit between or maybe their instructors can recommend -- possibly someone that is in the same module or the next. Thanks for helping get my creative juices flowing :)

the information can range from intellectual abilities of the student to the student's outside situation. It's important to know everything about the student's background, including IEPs.

Each student shows his way and shares their fears from the first day.
A student who is problematic or has many doubts in admission shows the same character in the academic part.
It is important to know this information to establish a dialogue according to their expectations and fears.

Our admissions team does not share personal information about the student to the faculty. We do share a common networking program in which we document any conversations we may have had with the student which is open for those with approved access to review.

drivers licence #

Information that shoulbe be shared would be IEP information. The person that should be given the information would be the Direcotr of Education and that person's responsibilitie would be to make sure the instructors were aware so they could accomodate the student accordingly.

Most information starts in Admissions through questions and answers, you're able to gather your data and aid the student through the process so there not struggling in the classroom, because their embarassed or they don't know who to go to, to discuss the matter.

The interactions with admissions gets noted. Such as their birthday, educational background and family. That helps us find common ground for report building.

I agree with the buddy system, especially in some difficult classes. But I agree, I have a difficult time sometimes with some that team up together because it "works for them" where they live. They can be disruptive to the class and then some who say when they team up they end up getting everything wrong. The buddy system does work on difficult projects and classes. I just haven't found the secret yet.

Our admissions collects information such as, dob, educational background, phone number, emergency contact, and etc...

Any and all educational concerns or struggles they have had in the past. IEP's or psych evals.

Our admissions reps gather any information that could help us help them succeed. Many of our students have obstacles in their life. Most of our students are the first in their families to go to college. We use that to help them succeed. I personally aks them what made them choose Criminal Justice and what specific area are they interested in.

Admissions collects lots of demographic information that can be used such as: marital status, if they have children, first time in college, and type of support system they have.

Sign In to comment