Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Admissions puts a list together of helpful information about most of the new students. We usually get it the first day of classes mostly covering potential barriers. It could be helpful to get a list of what they want to do with the career earlier before they start classes to make that connection.

I'm actually a faculty member but I have a few Ideas on the subject. It would help the faculty to understand get a breif back ground or even homw town so a bond can start to form between the staff of the school and the student. It's more about reaching the student on a personal level to breakdown some of the barriers like nervousness, shyness, and to get away from an inferior feeling that some may have. I believe this would help the student see that the instructor is not unlike them or was at least at one time in simular shoes.

Admissions asks the students what prompted them to enroll in school and what their ultimate goal is upon graduation. Admissions can share this information with the Instructors so that when a student starts slipping, they can say "Didn't you tell your Admissions Advisor that you wanted to own your own restaurant? You've got to finish school/get an externship site in order to be able to do that."

Kelvin,

I agree! The more you can relate and understand who your new students are, the easier it is to help them transition.

Susan Backofen

Vicki,

Agreed! This is the whole point of passing this information along...to continue to help the student stay focused on their goals.

Susan Backofen

If admissions learns information about the student it should be communicated to the instructor that will have the student in class to help the instructor prepare to connect with the student. Maybe breaking the students up by zip code could help the students get a connection with each other.

From time to time our admissions department has drawn me in to be introduced and answer more direct questions from the student prospect. I ask for no personal information from admissions but I do invite students to meet with me from time to time. I have an open door policy to my students to talk about anything that I might be of help with. If I cannot help, I direct them to whom or where they may find additional assistance and follow up with that student. Most of the time they just want to know that someone cares. I encourage students to contact and study together using various resources. They are stronger as a whole than if broken into smaller pieces. They also know what is going on with a student and have a tendency to take care of each other which keep them coming to school.

Ronald--

As you point out, students working together are an extremely effective retention tool. Getting them comfortable with working together is also an excellent skill they can take in to the work place.

Susan Backofen

We use nationality, because we have a very divers administrative team and usually one of the members can relate to a foreign nationality. Also, we found out where they grew up in the US. Working at a school in Florida, but most of the students are not from Florida.

You could find out how they are commuting to school and if they are going to need to find someone to share a ride with our buy a T-Pass. If they need either of those things you can put information in their welcome packet.

We do not get any information from the Admissions. I however do ask that all new students email me a brief Bio about themselves as well as, 1. Why theu have chose this profession. 2. Obstacles that will prevent them from finshing the program. and 3. what plans do they have if these obstacles happen.

As Registrar, our admissions reps let me know of any special concerns/help our students may need to succeed. Things such as test stress, physical issues,fears,concerns. I then make it a point to meet with the student and asked them "what can I do for them."

This information is shared with the instructors so they are aware and can give the student the proper support they need so they feel they can succeed. It also reinforces that we are all here for them.

Bonnie,

Wonderful! I am so glad to hear that you meet with each student individually to discuss how you can assist them and reassure them you are there to help.

Susan Backofen

Tammy ,

Excellent! Do you get much positive and useful feedback from these emails?

Susan Backofen

At my school as part of the Orientation process the students fill out a vision card in the shape of a cloud. The act of creating it replants the seeds of those dreams in the student. All the clouds of the new cohort are posted on a bulletin board in the lunchroom. Student Services is going to begin to photo copy them for the students' files so that they will be available to use as a retention tool. Using their dreams is a more positive intervention rather than having the student write a letter to use if they ever are thinking of dropping out.
In all of the forum interchanges there has been discussion about how to get information to the instructors. I am going to suggest that we give a copy of the cloud for the student, too, and have them take it into their as part of their introduction to the instructor and class.

I teach Healthcare computers to both Medical Assistance and Medical Billing students. It is the last class for those students. I go to each classroom before they come to my class and introduce myself. I also talk about the books I teach and the syllabus of this class. They always ask tons of questions about the assignments, the projects, if tutoring is available, and the exams. It is a 16 class days that they go through three different books. Most of them are already in a panic state. Talking to them about this class, ease their fear. I also let them know one on one tutoring is available.

I don't really ever get any information about the students that were in orientation. I really like the ideaa of them doing testimonials with each other and discussing why they've decided to come to school. I think this builds a bond with the new students off the bat. I also like the idea of the students getting teacher bio's. I think this would make them feel more comfortable and get to know us a bit before the first day of class.

All the new students have to write a letter to the Dean or excecutive prior to being accepted. I usually read all the new students letter so I can get a feel of who they are.

Sharon,

I like the clouds. Keeping students focused on their goals is the ultimate tool in retention. Whether they are clouds or letters to remind them of why they enrolled. We need to keep encouraging them to attain their dream.

Susan Backofen

Karine,

Is this letter part of the acceptance process? Is it a standard question everyone answers?

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment