Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like to be creative with hands-on. Lab activities for students inspire them to come back. The team work is fun and the interactions are fun. 15 minutes of hands on with 5 minutes of an open forum so student can ask questions during lab time. The atmosphere is positive and enlightening. Knowing there will be another lab assignment, students are on time in class and ready for more learning.

I think that is everything. I also will add a plan visible to the students for each day.

1. Smile, make eye contact and greet every student I pass in the hallway to let them know I'm happy they are here.
2. Know every one of my student's names. It is surprising how many times I hear instructors mispronounce their students' names. Students may laugh it off at the time, but I believe it truly matters to them....as it would to any of us.
3.I make sure that I take each of them aside
within the first month, look them straight in the eye and tell them something I've noticed about them that I admire.
I have a very strong connection with my students as do the other faculty in our program. We have had 2 withdrawals out of 144 students since it started in 2010.

I think positive feedback helps motivate students to do well

1) Have students working in groups with different members of the class.
2) Offering more frequent mentoring sessions and/or suggestion box.
3) Guest lecturer on a new technology or treatment modality in the students' future career field.

1. Ask how the students are doing more periodically.
2. Follow up with them. pull them aside just to see how things are going to show that we are listening and do care.
3. Improve our own goals in helping students

One would be to go into the classrooms more frequenlty to remind them that we do care and want to see them succeed.
Another one would be to maybe do more surveys to see what the students are seeing.
And lastly maybe sit in on some of the classes to observe what is going on.

have students do a paper listing out their goals and they will do to achieve it- when they feel down or discouraged give htem the paper they wrote so they could read it to remember why they are here doing what they are and to not let anything stop them.

another thing would be to do more follow up with students. see how they are what the have accomplished. Help them to feel and know that they are important and that we care.

in orientation have students exchange numbers with each other who will be in the same class so they can help each other out studying, car pooling etc. Like having a buddy system.

reach out to the students to identify their problem
offer solutions that best fit
do follow-up

I would like to sit in on the classes while the teachers are teaching just to see how things are in the classes and then discuss it with the students see what their opiions are. I also would like to have more follow up time with my students, and maybe create a mentoring group for students or a study buddy system.

Checking in regularly, hosting events for students that are fun & team building, rewards for good work or study habits..such as a homework pass or extra credit on a test.

To keep my communication with students and faculty . Reach out and SOS "save our student" note to all the staff which includes the admission and reach out to students who are missing classes. Will continue to communicate student progress and how we will be able to assist students in their issues.

Speak with students weekly and discuss issues
Monitor attendance

Personal contact, particularly follow-up with absentee students
Provide individual tutoring to those students in need (identified by their homework submissions)
Allow times in class for the students to freely discuss issues and concerns they may have.

Finding where students need the most help.

Maintaining a personal commitment to the student and understanding each of their individual goals is paramount to their success. Making sure that they know that we have an open door policy to help them in any way we can. Reiterate the tutoring policy. Offer help and support in the lab with hands on skills. Keep the classroom interesting and exciting.

more student involvement
help the weaker students feel involved
insure everybody is getting all the material needed and explain

1. Continue building strong relationships with students that focus on respect and trust.
2. Plan an exciting activity outside of class time that relates to the industry.
3. Encourage students to engage in one on one discussion from time to time about their progress.

1. Review the current student success plan ( new to the job)

2. Brainstorm on ideas of how to improve--look at current succes courses offered, services for students, and career awareness, etc.

3. Develop or improve upon the plan and take action.

Three steps I will take:

Work with Dean to improve our Test Drive course and develop it into an Orientation for the student. Add in videos on time management, test taking, study recommendations, wifi locator, and tells us about you and your learning style.

Become more engaged with each student not just the at risk. Take the time to make sure we are all acknowledging their success.

Make a strong attempt to know our student's expectations.

Sign In to comment