Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As a new instructor I often fall into the lecture routine without working in group activities. My first step is to make sure I am incorporating all learning style needs into course plan for the day. Helping students be involved will help retention. Another step on the continuum is to ensure that all students know the best way to contact me and when I'm available if they need to speak privately about any issue/question/problem/concern/assignment. Third is to share myself, my history, some of the successes that have come with persistence. I usually share my own test anxiety with them and offer tools for dealing with anxiety on a frequent basis. The institution itself has taken several strides during quarter break to address areas of student discontent. Included in this has been totally updating one of the computer labs. Computer access is critical and one of the biggest complaints both faculty who don't have their own office/computer and students have. There are times when having equipment that works is as critical as having an instructor available...maybe more :))

Begin to establish a professional relationship with my students on day one.
Be there for them. Not behing my desk working on my computer.
Challenge them and show them they can do it.

Explain that I am there to help them be successful.
Explain that if they need my help I am there for them. If need additional help that I am available every tuesday after class for X hours.
Reach out via email so they know I am available and that it is ok that reach out and connect with me that way.

I am going to have a student appreciation morning before class starts(we start at 6am) with bagels and coffee. I also will stay late to be available to those students who would like me to go over their resumes with them. This is actually something I do a lot, it gives them more confidence when they go on interviews. I will also ask them to write a suggestion for a suggestion box letting me know of concerns, or what is going well.

Online instructors have the additional challenge of becoming "real" to their students. It sounds like you also have the challenge of integrating students enrolled in a common program, but coming to your course from different campus cultures. Does that present a particular problem?

Loren Kroh

1. Taking more time to understanding the underlying reasons behind students' stress and using vertical probing.

2. Putting a focus on emphasizing the positives of a student being enrolled and what they can reap from continuing on and persisting. Another aspect of this would be to help the student reframe their paradigm.

3. Talking to students about their role models and identifying the practices that they use during times of stress to help themselves cope.

1. I will immediately address any issues that my students bring to me.

2. I will find out what resources my institution has to offer students.

3. I will follow up with students when they are having problems to ensure that they are receiving help.

Well, I have some plans here!
Now that I have taken this online course, first of all, I am planning to share this information at our next faculty meeting with other instructors and the program coordinator, as well as staff members.
I believe, educating other members of our team in regards to student attrition and retention is the first thing to do.
Secondly, I really liked the idea of having a Student Success Advisor on campus. I would like to discuss this with the school's executives about creating such a role among our support staff or finding someone new with a degree in Psychology or Behavioral Sciences and experience in couceling students.
Thirdly, I will make sure to implement what I have learned here by passing on the important information to our students themselves.
I believe, empowering the students to make the right decisions, educating them about their options, introducing them to the right people they can talk to when facing personal issues,is a huge factor in helping their success. Oftentimes, students just want to vent and feel heard. So, listening and teaching others to listen is a great start.

First, I will participate as an instructor for an on-campus event for the general public with student workers as assistants. They are called "master classes" designed to help build awareness of the school in the community, but it also adds to positive student culture for those students involved. Second, I will be participating in an off-site charity function with student volunteer workers, which also adds to improved school culture. Thirdly, I will work to make sure that I reach out to every student, every day, so that each will share a positive connection with the class.

3 specific steps I will take within 30 days to improve retention in my institution:

1. Maintain an open-door policy where students can connect with me anytime through emails or direct lines to speak to me.

2. Give feedback to every activities performed and ask for their suggestions (through a Suggestion Box)on how the institution can improve to help them accomplish their goals.

3. Arrange for field trips relevant to the curriculum.

The first and foremost step would be to let the students know that I am available to talk if they need to. I am not a counselor, but I can give my opinion or simply just listen if needed. As long as the student knows that someone is there for them, they'll feel more comfortable.

The second step would be to continute to reassure students that they made the right choice by enrolling in one of the school's programs. They have to have passion in one way or another about the industry. I'll do what I can to educate them about the realities of the industry, including how successful they can be when they really put their mind and heart into it.

The third step would be to look for "warning" signs that could lead to a possibly withdrawal. Students in the industry are often extroverted and "wear their hearts on their sleeves" make it somewhat easier to pinpoint if they are feeling downtrodden, so to speak. Just being an active listener can do wonders.

I am going to attend RAM meetings that are meant to discuss students in need. I would also like to discuss offering more programs to involve students,as well as work on ways to improve our new student orientation.

I will start sending an email once a week to my students to recap what we did the past week and let them know they can email me with any questions or concerns. I am also going to make them breakfast on the last day of class as an "appreciation" of all their hard work, and then I will go over their grades with them one on one.

be positive
make classes interesting and fun ( include some personal experiences, positive and negative)
be involved with each student

# Steps to improve stusent retention.

1. Timely Stitch meetins
2. Set up student appreciation day
3. Acknowledge student success's

I will call them if they are absent. I will have someone from the library come in and go over/review how to do research for those students that are coming back to school after being away. I make sure they know that I am in the classroom early if they need to speak to me for any reason.

1) I send an e-mail to all student before the class start
2) I come an hour before class to help eny student who needs extra help.
3) I remember every student by name and that is the best way to increase attendance every class and reduce students being late.

I plan to implement a new goal process with my individual students who have successfully repeated a class. Having gotten over the hump of "You must pass this class it is so important", the student feels a great deal of relief. that puts them in the perfect position to make goals for themselves, as they have just achieved a large one. Through talking about and keep track of their new goals, it breaks stresses of school into smaller pieces and helps build a rapport based around his personal success.

I'd also like to see a superlatives-type scenario introduced for the students to chose about the teachers. All the students could vote on it, and it would bind them through their ideas, and it would bind them to the school via fun and interesting vested interest.

Awards are a great way to build up students and make them see that you care. Small "way to go's" are good, but sometimes something more official is worth it.

Ashley, I'm not familiar with "superlatives-type scenario". Could you share more details about what it is and how it works?

Loren Kroh

I was thinking in terms of Most likely to be famous, most likely to become a millionaire, etc. This could be a fun way to engage the students, and give them a better sense of community. especially since it's an online environment, superlatives for the instructors could be very effective.

Sign In to comment