Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I will be more diligent in calling students when absent,
I will get industry visitors to come into our school to talk to students about opportunities and pertinent skills that will help them in their careers,
I will be more active in our school club and skills labs and have students in my class attend that need more help with learning than just the average class tine allows.

Have at least one conversation with every student in my class.
Talk about my own experiences and challenges.
Communicate with my boss about struggling students earlier.

I will encourage the students to not miss any time in my electrical classes due to the fact they set the foundation for all the rest of their classes at this institution. 2nd I will talk to each and every student on an individual basis if I see their attendance or academic grades are suffering. 3rd I will teach them in tutoring if necessary to keep them encouraged about their grades and their ability to find help when needed.

1. Take the time to "know the student". Go beyond them just being in attendance.

2. Sincerely inquire as to how they are doing with the material and course, include asking about their getting along with other classes.

3. Do the one on one regarding their successes and challenges. Develop a plan with the student to achieve short-term goals. Follow up, review and revise if necessary.

Over the next thirty days I will be
1. Reviewing the students four week evaluations.
2. Students that are struggling with classes will be put on probation and mandatory tutoring weekly for the student.
3. I will be implementing a sheet with the facility names, descriptions of their jobs, location of offices, and times available to the students. This will be given out as a part of the orientation packet. Our staff introduces themselves at orientation and gives them a short description of their job and how we are available to help them. I remind students that my job is to help them be successful in the career they have chosen and get them the help they need.
Michaela Yabroff

1) I will connect the course goals to students' career path. How might you use the mathematics learned in this course during your career?
2) I will use the new system for referring students with concerns to the proper personnel.
3) I will continue to communicate my motto consistently to my students:
"Your success is my goal!"

Engage students more often, work with them one one one and follow up with them

We improve retention by engaging our students from the first day with meeting with admissions. During the school tour staff members are pointed out and if not busy introduced to the new student. We tell the student we look forward to seeing him in class. Then we have orientation. At this time all the staff involved with that student are introduced and the staff tells them a little about themselves. Then the first day of class we have a three hour orientation with the upperclassmen to help them organize their notebooks and help them with the syllabus. The freshman meet for fifteen minutes after school the first week to discuss any concerns and get help. Our instructors intervene when they see a student struggling with classes and recommend tutoring.

Who facilitates the 15 minute meetings after school, Linda? Is attendance mandatory?

1. Spend more personal time with students that are struggling.
2. Work with the management team and student services to address troubled students.
3. Try to make the students feel the value in what they are learning.

I will seek out and gain a better understanding of the suport systems we have in our school.

I will get to know some of the people in the variuos departments that have an influence on student retention.

I have already made the sugestion that the Ed. managers review this material so instructors and managers are holding each other accountable for the same things.

I will review my notes on this course when considering how to best help a student through a tough time.

1- Identify student that may be at risk because of poor academic performance.
2- follow up with intsructors on daily attendance and students absentism.
3- develope a make up schedule for students, for the ones with the requiered paperwork, to jelp them come up to date in grades and attendance.

The ability to show the students that we care about their success. Rewards for success are a good way to show that we are paying attention to their achievements. We award pins for certain achievements. Students love to collect these pins on lanyards with our school logo on them.

Retention improvements that we will be practicing include:
1. Student appreciation week
2. Lunch with Faculty
3. Career Fair

All three of these events typically have good participation from students and faculty.

Jamie, why do you think simple rewards like pins are so effective in motivating students?

Loren Kroh

The three things I can do to improve retention would be first to listen and observe the students for the signs of stress both academic and non-academic. Next, assess the way I communicate to the students my commitment to their overall success and willingness to help them overcome issues. Third continue to self assess so that I remain in touch and not stagnate in my approach to helping students succeed.
I find for example that even after teaching for over 12 years that I can find new ways of getting a concept across to a student...the same has got to be true for seeing the underlying issues and helping to resolve them....

The three steps I will do to improve retention are...
1. Allow the students priority to override the days timeline. Make up the possible missing parts of the days lecture at another time.
2. Build a more personal relationship with the students by engaging in their hobbies and interests.
3. By following up more with the students after intervention takes place.

Show the student you care. Talk to them about their jobs and their own car problems. Tell them they did a good job on lab tasks they have performed. When dismissing student, tell them to have a great day and I'll see you tomorrow.

I plan on developing a better relationship with my students to the point wear they fell comfortable discussing problems and obstacles in their personal life that may affect their attendance, I plan on coaching my students on the importance of their attendance rate and how it can affect their financial aid, and finally make myself more available to students who are struggling with understanding the material before they get discouraged.

1. Positive reinforcement of acceptable behaviors
2. One on one discussions with struggling students
3. Kudos for students showing improvement

Sign In to comment