Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jerry, could you share some details about the provisional program? Who qualifies? How long is it? What's the success rate? etc.

I will improve communication through meeting more with instructors to discuss student issues and their concerns. I will also provide more information in the school newsletter. The last thing is to create a complete list of personnel and their tasks within the program. This will aide in knowing where to send a student for answers.

Provide clear expectations for the students and goals they can work toward.

Have guest speakers come in to share real life examples with the students.

Come to each class excited to be there.

I think we need to make sure that all staff is on board with making the student feel that we are committed to their success. I think instructors often get fed up or "done" with certain students and it may convey a disinterest in their success. I would also like to revamp the orientation program in a way that more effectively communicates information and where to go later if you have questions about it. We also don't have much mentorship outside of what naturally happens in the classroom. The student council is currently working on peer to peer mentorship programs.

As an adjunct instructor, I have very little impact on institutional policies and practices. However, I can and do (1) watch for attitudinal changes in my students, (2) intervene when I perceive a problem, and (3) make recommendations at scheduled institutional meetings I attend.

We used to have a person that worked kind of like a counselor that we refered to each time a student was facing a challenge or had attendance problems. This helped a lot with retention as sh also did "rounds"going into classrooms following up with the students ans so on. However, that position was eliminated so we are all now juggling those responsibilities among ourselves. It's unfortunate because most of the time the students see the instructors as an authoritative figure (same as "Mom" or "Dad") so they do not feel confident enough to approach us.

1. Keep the students motivated.
2. Promote positive attitude toward their career choice.
3. More communication

1. Make more personal contact with my students

2. Be sure the students are fully aware of all the resources they have access to.

3. Make sure I am always available to all of my students to address any need or concern they may have.

l. Invite a guest speaker in the students' field of study.

2. Invite a former student that is now employed to motivate the current students. This will help them believe that they too can succeed.

3. Plan a class project that incorporates peer mentoring.

will try to have an individual sit down with each student per week

be more aware when outside distractions keep students from being successful

try to set up field trips that let them see what the options are for you in the work force

We already participate in most of the steps discussed. I will develope a student ambassador program in my class to assist new students.

1. Acknowledge student achievements through award programs.

2. Take the students to a field trip.

3. Provide a suggestion box.

1) I am going to reach out to upper classman to start a mentoring program

2) We are going to install a suggestion box in the student lounge

3) I am going to crerate a manual of services provided and have the point persons photo on the appropriate services

Reinforce the positives about their career choice, Maintain a positive environment in class and lab, and Encourage students to communicate more openly. As a side note, I spent 20+ years in the industry of which I instruct. Often during the first day of class, I share with students that during my education, I had doubt ("everyone else made it look easy and I was having a tough time of it" and so forth). My "promise to myself" during my educational hardship was to persevere and ask questions of the instructor. I also share with them that even AFTER my education, upon entering the industry, I made mistakes from time to time. We are only human after all, and we should embrace our mistakes not as failures, but rather as learning experiences.

I will be helping with the awards luncheon that will acknowledge student's success. I will be helping with online orientation to help the students feel welcome and to let them know I am available for whenever they need anything. I will also be meeting with all students that are not doing well in their programs to help build up their self-esteem and talk about how we might be able to improve their performance and also build up their excitement about their program.

1. Implement a suggestion box for student use in the teaching environment.

2. Implement a recognition program to display work of students as they complete different portions of the course.

3. Improve the monthly activities we already have by encouraging fellow instructors to join in and contribute to them.

When students are stagnating and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, I think it's important to take them on a field trip of their chosen profession. I find this gets them motivated again and excited about their field!!

As an online instructor for several Business courses over the past years, one of the methods that has met with appreciation from students is a personal email I send to each person, restating a reminder to feel free to call anytime (holidays and weekends included) and to establish my support for their academic success. I’ll be doing this again this coming Quarter. Another step I will repeat that has worked well for the online students that come from several different campuses across the United States, is to find out the name of the director of academic support services at each of the campuses from which I have students enrolled and email that director introducing myself and what classes I’m teaching that Quarter and to let them know that I will be proactive in the getting in touch with them if any questions arise (before they become bigger problems.) I also ask those directors of advisement to please contact me if any concerns come up that I can help with, given the student’s permission to share info, etc. Finally, a simple but very important retention step…start grading immediately, don’t wait for the end of the first week’s assignment. Many students have commented on how important this was to them not only at the first week, but throughout the course!

I would like to set a "stop and talk" event where students can talk to me and there instructors about issues that may be bothering or things we can do to change or improve. Also I would like to make sure we are always doing things to keep classroom enviorment exciting. Also early intervention practices when students are not in class and are missing in class.

I use the following steps that help me improve retention:
1. The first day of the class I go over the attendance policy of the school. I also tell them that by coming to class everyday they earn 10% of their grade. Most of the students don't know that attendance is part of the grading.
2. After I am done the first lecture and I ask them a feedback about what they like and don't like about the lecture. It makes them feel like they important. I also adjust the lecture delivery based on their feedback. You cannot imagine the respect I get from them.
3. If a student doesn't show up I call them. Most of the time, they call me and tell me that the reason of their absent.

Sign In to comment