Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

More one on one helping with students, give more compliments when should be given, make them feel like they come always come talk to me or ask for help if needed.

I will categorize at risk students by severity and place them in three groups. The students at greater risk will receive the highest priority and will be contacted daily where they will receive encouragement and guidance as needed. All students will be reminded why they have chosen to better themselves by seeking additional education. Future opportunities and the pride of achieving their goals will be a consistent theme in our discussions. They will be reminded of the many tools that are available to them through the school. Without using names, brief third person success stories will be passed on to them so they can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Congratulatory calls and emails will be made to students who make even small strides to let them know they are moving in the right direction and everyone at the school is watching their improvement and are proud of them and they should be proud of themselves. A constant reminder that the struggle they are enduring is simply a means to an end and they will enjoy a better life because they are not only educating themselves they are also educating their family.

1. Tutoring - I will provide a nuturing environment where students can seek help without feeling embarrassed or frightened.

2. Open Door Policy - I will make myself available so that students can get answers quickly from me and if I cannot resolve the issue I will find the right individuals who can expeditiously.

3. Surveys - After each term I am given a survey from the students. I will pay particular attention to their comments about me as their instructor and the curriculum relevance and if possible make any adjustments to meet the student expectations going forward.

update peer tutoring with the students.
Work to build a stronger student instructor relationship.
Make sure that the students know that their education is important to me and the school.

1. Meet with each student in Gen. Eds.
2. visit each cohort to get an over view of cohort progress.
3. Meet with faculty to get everyone onboard wit student retention.

One on ones with at risk students.

Getting all employees involved with commitment to our students.

Interacting with students during break times to develop better relationships.

We make sure to interact with our students daily in a way that is friendly and inviting allowing them to feel comfortable to approach us when they need to in order to disuses issues that could effect school.

Three steps to improving retention:
1. Continue with open-door policy
2. Practice the "survey method" for resolving issues
3. Be more enthusiastic about retention "events" hosted by the institution

Shanika, the blurred lines will always be an issue with some. To address it I usually establish boundaries. For example, I advise that what is said is confidential. I put emphasis on this so they understand there is still a level of professionalism to the conversation. I also advise my students, if the situation is too personal, they do not need to give me all of the details, but they do need to let me know something is going on. This usually leads to the heart of the problem, but keeps the line from being blurred. And when offering that ear, really listen to your students. I know I have had to work on that aspect over the years.

Create an event where students and staff can participate together. Meet individually with students to discuss their personal goals. Invite a graduate that has had success in their field to come speak to students.

Most of the time if I have a student to leave. its because they where miss informed upon their admission; Students often tell me that they was told something different than reality. And the biggest one is Externship. They work and juggling school with intention that they can do extern 4.5 a day as school. But extern coordinator informed them it has to be a 8 hour day for extern unless the company hours vary. Then immediately that stop coming states whats the use of continuing to come,  because of my job I cannot do eight hour a day

Sign In to comment