Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Considerations for Distance Coaching | Origin: CS113

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Becoming an Effective Career Coach --> Considerations for Distance Coaching  

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I absolutely found this section to be the most crucial to career coaching while doing it remotely as we are now. It might seem that the language of an email doesn't make or break a relationship, but it absollutley can. The commincative experience can only be a positive one when the student feels heard and understood. Having emotional connections while being apart is difficult, but still obtainable even though nonverbal cues are almost nonexistent. The simple act of including emojis in an email or text message can represent tone and emotion and it really can make the difference of how somone reads a sentence. Miscommunication is the easiest to obtain during this time, and the steps mentioned in terms of writing communication make all the difference. I will absolutely be ensuring my emails hit each note of what was discussed to ensure there are no miscommunications going forward.

Prior to SAE going remote due to the pandemic, we were able to physically interact with students, not just during one on one meetings but via student clubs and events. Now that we are in a virtual space, the interactions have lost that "personal touch" and I feel this section really gave a great outline as to how we can incorpoarte that element into our communitcation with students so as to maintain a clear and open line of communication and help the student feels as tho they are heard and not just another name on a spreadsheet. 

This was a great module! It is very imporant to show social presence and how to select your word choice. 

I like the different approaches I can now trake when iteacting with the students. With everything going remote now, I thought we might lose the ability to engage with our styudents. Thanks for the insight.

I found this module very insightful. How important it is to communicate with the online student and offer personal interaction with them. 

I found the different ways to communicate in this section to be very helpful.

Connectedness is key.  Students need to know that their  career coaches have heard, understood, and plan to work diligently to provide them services they need.  Helping students reflect and set their own goals for achieving job seeking sucess is important.

This module made me reflect on the distant learning that we were thrown into over the past 1.5 years.  This module helps me to already make plans / preparations for the upcoming year.  Learning to communicate whether online or face to face using writing skills can help bridge the gap between students, their peers, and the teacher.  This will help build a community and buy into their education, career counseling, goal setting, etc...

Distance learning, while it has been around for a while, is growing even more important than ever. Just as coaches would customize tools/resources to their student/client in-person, it is equally important for them to consider what tools/resources would lead to success in a distance learning setting.

This is a beautiful lesson. I am learning communication has a purpose and it is a form of art with theories/models backed by research.

Communicating via email, can be challenging especially given that human facial signaling isn't availible. Neither is body language and verbal tone. In order to offset these disadvantages, I must be careful in the wording in order to invole thought, and instill interest. By being positive and avoiding negative phrases like failure, or insufficient, etc, I can inspire the student through the communication and increase the likelihood of a more successful exchange and earning trust and confidence. 

I truly enjoyd this lesson as it is important on how others read and understand the point you are trying to make.

Connecting with our students in a distance learning situation can be challenging but it’s not impossible.  This module pointed out again that words have power and can be used for good…in this case help us connect through the screen.  I appreciate how this module provided examples of communication to help  us make sense of this section. I’m guilty of not always including the students name, and just saying, “Hi or Good Morning”, and I will now include their name.  I also will work on reaching out to my students through different platforms…email, newsletters, YouTube and such.  Great reminders to provide a variety of techniques so not to miss our students and for times such as these. 

Effective communication is so important between the advisor and student. It is often difficult to build rapport when you do not have an opportunity to meet in person much or at all. Wording of an email is important. One must take in consideration how the reader will perceive what is written when received. There are ways you can subtly build rapport through written communication. Emoticons, key phrases, use of student's name etc. You want to make sure you acknowlege and understand what a student is asking or what their goal is of the conversation. Keep conversations on the sunny side and be mindful of your word choice. 

I liked this section the most because it validates the relational capacity needed to connect with students. It was presented in a very understandable manner. 

I like that this section stressed the importance of how written communications can be misconstrued. I like that there were examples of ways to give cues to the intended tone of the communication when nonverval cues and body language cannot be observed. 

This module served as a reminder that we are dealing with somewhat unprecedented learning environments (and types of learners, by virtue of the technical era we now have).  Great tools and tips.  Thank you.

It was a great module to learn the strategies we can use to create a community of learners.

I learned from this module that it is most effective to relate to students out loud. This means that when a student comes to you with a problem or question, it can make them feel better when you use self-disclosure statements. This helps them to feel less alone, and can form a better bond between coach and student. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities