Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have now considered the different options at my disposal when attempting to nurture a coach-student relationship electronically. I will apply the ARCS system in correspondences to ensure engagement.

So far this has been one of the best/worthy classes I have taken in Max Knowledge. It addresses all the things I deal with and better ways to deal with them. Our students know we have lifetime job placement. A mother asked me to call her son with leads. Instead I emailed him and let him know that we wouldn't have known his struggle personally because his mom is doing all his communications. I asked him to call me later today. I also texted his mother and let her knw that we are not just here to provided leads but we are also here to teach job hunting and networking skills. We don't kick the baby bird out of the nest without teaching them how to fly.

I found this section to be particularly important for career coaching, especially in the current remote working environment. While it might not seem like the language used in emails is crucial, it truly is. Effective communication hinges on making the student feel heard and understood, which can be a challenge when we're physically apart, and nonverbal cues are limited. Even something as simple as using emojis in an email or text message can convey tone and emotion, significantly impacting how a message is received. In this era, miscommunication is more common, but by following the communication guidelines mentioned, I will make sure my emails cover all the essential points to minimize any misunderstandings in the future.

I have learned some effective ways to interact with students distantly via technology.  I have worked remotely for most of my career, so email communication has never been a struggle but I have now learned the appropriate names to the techniques that I have just acquired over the years.  The area in which I have less experience is teaching via technology and have been somewhat challenged by that this semester as the course I teach was switched to remote (synchronous).  Trying to conduct group discussions and interactive activities has been a learning experience for both myself and the students.  Some of the techniques learned here will be helpful.

I appreciate the idea of paying attention to understanding and relevance when communicating via email or virtually. Being thoughtful of how we replace nonverbal communication in these circumstances is important to continue connections and rapport with students. 

When communicating with students in a remote/hybrid environment, it is important to be responsive, while also being clear in your communication.  When students seek advice/guidance/help, it is important to acknowledge them, their feelings, and then coaching to form that connection with the students.  Students need to feel validated from their instructors to build that trust. 

In managing a remote team, this information helps me add the little extra in my messaging to that exhibits a level of professionalism and thoughtfulness to bring my team closer together as we work toward common goals. 

A career coach must be active in engaging with distance students.

The ability to create a positive personal interaction with the students is essential as a lot of the communication happens more online now. This helps create more connectedness. 

Very good module information and area of GREAT importance. It is most critical that career coaches both have a social presence and utilize it daily and effectively. Strategically considering readers perspective, tones. I enjoyed this module-great career services professional development tool(s).  

I thought this was a very important section as it reminded us how to add personal touches through online platforms. In order for us to be effective with our students, we need to communicate online the same way we would communicate in-person. This can be done by utilizing the ARCS model. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities