Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that the having the most updated facts and resources for your program is not only a great resource for our students. But assists with the overall success of the student process starting with improving admission numbers. Having these program specific statistics readily available for students will encourage their motivation to successfully complete their externship/ptogram.

From this section, I learned the importance of memberships in organization, for the students as well as the career services professionals. This section also reinforced the foundation of a mission statement for a careeer services department. 

I learned that it is very important to communicate with all integral department when setting up your department. Belonging to associations will be very beneficial in the long run.

I learned about best practices to get started setting up an effective Career Services Department and how the Career Services Department  contributes to the overall success and reputation of the university.  It is a strong influence for new students to know that past students were able to find good jobs in the field in which they studied at your university. Also the benefit of joining professinal associations in their industry. 

I've learned this position works with all departments on campus but especially with Admissions.  Career Services needs to provide constant updated information to prospective students so they can make important career decsions.  Information provided can be salary for area and work environment.

I've learned that the career service department is critical for overall school growth and success. Creating a mission statement that is measurable and inclusive to all students and retention and/or placement rate is important. 

I have learned that the Career Service Department is a vital part of an education insitution. The Career Service Department employment results are a key component in recruiting prospective students.

The Career Services Department can benefit every area of your institution. 

I learned that it is important to give direction to a WBL program by creating a mission statement. This is where industry, community, educational members, and students can look to see what the program is about, and what the goals are for the future. It is also important to define the various departments that will be involved in the WBL program, and to identify what each department's roles are in making the program the most efficient it can be. 

Posting the mission statement not only helps students to understand the purpose but is a great reminder for staff as well.  It is too easy to get sidetracked by the variety of demands from the various stakeholders and having everyone on board with the purpose and mission helps to keep everyone on track.

It is important to get students to join professional organizations.  Being a part of professional organizations help students gain experiences that they can list on their resumes.

I learned that the Career Services Department can affect the entire institution. Working closely with admissions can help students with retention and being able to motivate students in the long run. Career Services' job is to be able to provide the proper tools for all departments to communicate with one another. 

Along with having a good mission statement, I learned that you always need to keep your information and resources for students updated. Its important to stay in contact with other departments such as Admissions so your on the same page.   This gives the students the most relevant information to aid them in finding a career. 

Learned that providing career-oriented publications can help students stay informed on industry current events. Wages, trends, developments and job openings will help keep them motivated to graduate and finding employment. We put more emphasis in this area to maintain students excitment about working. 

I learned that having a mission statement as a good foundation is key. Offering multiple services to help students be successful and providing industry information and career opportunities is a great path to success.

The Mission Statement will dictate how successful your organization can be. It will also enhance the abilities of Career Services to provide 110% services to the students. Career Services are the backbone of a school or any organization. In order to do that you will need to create a strong team. One of the best Mission Statement I have heard is "Transforming lives through the power of work" 

I've learned that having a functional and engaging Career Services Department is pivotal for the institution's visibility in it's local, national, and international communities, while ascertaining that graduating idividuals enter the workforce, boots on the ground, ready to go!

Career Services plays a who role in higher education. Starting from the mission statement of the institution to the individual mission of Career Services must compliment the direction of the overall goal for each student. Being able to prepare the future leaders of tomorrow takes dedication, attention to detail, and empathy.

The main takeaway from this module has been how impactful a Career Services Department can be, not just for current students, but also for graduates, the admissions department and employers. What a valuable resource! 

This section allowed me the chance to think about what services and opportunities I’d like to offer students.  In this review I was able to not just brainstorm ideas but also determine the “why” I would want to incorporate into a Career Service Department; which led me to be more decisive in the offerings.  Something else I hadn’t thought about before was the impact this department has on an institution as a whole.  It’s refreshing to see how this work is helpful to so many, not just the student who sits in front of you at that moment.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities