Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What I have learned in this module so far is how important the Career and Student Service department are and how it is the center for the whole school.  From the minute the prospective student tours the school until way beyond graduation our department has a great oppurtunity to show all that we are THE place.  

I learned that the role of career services is not just to assist students and graduates find employment. The serivces that a career services center offer have the ability to impact many differnt faucets, not just students. By understanding that we are the bridge for students and employers, we can find creative ways to prepare students for a career in their field and help employers find quality candidates faster.

I learned that a mission statement is important in helping the career and student services department to help them focus on how they can help students. I also learned that the Career and students services department is important in all aspects of the school. From the time that a student starts to the time that they graduation and also after graduation. 

I have learned that Association Membership is important because it offers greater networking opportunities, Real Life/Job balance from industry leaders who are performing jobs in the career industry you want to be involved in. Memebership is key and it lreflects positively on resume.

As a School Director, the Career Services provided by our school is vital to our business. Simply put, the goal of career services is to assist graduates through the often daunting preparation and process of legwork required to prepare for and seek employment. The perception of the viability of the training programs is directly related to the success of the Career Services process. The process starts with a culture of understanding the needs and goals of the individual, providing career education and guidance, and supporting the graduate well beyond graduation. The process for success begins with Admissions, is reinforced throughout training and fulfilled by Career Services.

I've learned how important it is to have a successful career department, especially at a trade school. It requires close work with other departments and not only assists students with jobs but helps build lifelong skills that will assist them throughout their professional career. A clear and consise mission statement drives the services and goals of the department and allows us to hold ourselves accountable if we are not meeting a commitment we have made to the student body.

I learned how important an effective Career Services Deparment can be to an organizations out comes and success.  A mission statement, publications, creating relationships with companies in the idustry, providing a wide range of resources such as assistance with resume writing, interviewing techniques and job search will help create an evironment of success! 

From the module, I learnt how essential a mission statement is to any department because it helps every one to understand the goals and purpose of the department. Any decision taken should be in line with fullfilling the mission statement. The Career Servives Department (CSD) is important because it provides a wide variety of services essential for a student's self and career growth. A CSD should be accessable whether physical or online. The department educates student on areas they are studing and provide job placements after studies are completed locally and internationally. The department should also be up to date with all their poblications to provide the up to date trends and developments which will accurately assist students with their job searches. And finally all departments of the institution are greatly affected by their CSD for example students, graduates, admissions department and also employers.

How I intend to apply what I have learnt is to bring this knowledge to my fellow coworkers so we can implement different career related opportunities or avenues to engage students at the institution.

Defining the mission for Career Services is important.  It should be a collaborative effort from stakeholders to get buy in to what CS is working towards.  Once you've outlined where you want to go and who you want to be....start concentrating on building rapport with students, instructors, admissions, leadership, and of course our employer-partners to build a comprehensive team.  This team work will improve student involvement, job preparation, job search and utimately produce good outcomes.  It's these outcomes that can be used by the institution as a selling point when trying to find new perspective students.  And CS should maintain an open channel of communication with all to ensure continuous improvement in the programs provided.

I learned that the mission statement is a big part of career services. Having the right association is imperative and that we should all work together for the students success. 

I learned that the overall purpose of career services is to help the student find a career path that will lead to a successful, happy future.

I learned that the Career Services Department impacts the entire institution.  It is important to have a mission statement that evolves as you grow. 

Students will benefit by learning about prospective jobs in their field.  We will need to have a lot of resources and data to provide for the prospective students.  Work with the admissions team to be up to date on placement success and job search process. 

Make connections with employers and provide them with efficient pathway to use is as a staffing source. 

Also make connections with Alumni to get real feedback about the industry and potential open positions in the field. 

Look for memberships that will benefit students with networking opportunities. 

I've been in career services for quite some time, but there are great ideas in this module. I believe a publication to send out to current students will keep them engaged with their career services department. I also love the idea of having students sign up to be members of organizations in their field of study so they feel like a professional long before they graduate. 

A strong mission statement and an organized and methodical approach to setting up the CS office is essential to the success of that office.

I have learned the importance of a mission statement. Working with students and informing them on an individual basis, their potential and value within an industry, while informing potential employers of recent graduates to fill their void within the workforce. It's an important step to create awareness to what we have to offer as a learning institution to both students and employers.

Learn about the services that can provide an effective career services as helping students building a good resume.  

I work at a career college and am learning information that will assist me is setting up a Career Services Department for our campus and will then market these services.

I learned how I can effectively communicate to my institution the value of a career services department and how it can be beneficial to more than just current students. 

I have learned how a great Career Services Department can be essential for more than a student. One has the capabilities not only to strengthen the institution but can build relationships with potential employers, assist or offer information to admissions to gain potential students along with assisting a student to get the job that they really want and to be the best employee possible.

I have learned that the Career Service Center is an essential part of the school.  From Admissions to students to graduates and employers.  The mission statement should help to show how the Career Service Center can be an integral part from start to finish and beyond.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities