Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding Title IX, VAWA, and the Clery Act | Origin: CM142

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Understanding Title IX, VAWA, and the Clery Act

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I learned that Title IX, The Clery Act and Violence Against Women Act, are all acts to prevent an individual being excluded from higher education based on gender, The Clery Act requires institutions of higher education to collect and record data on crime. –Was enacted into law in 1972 by the federal government. No person, on the basis of sex, should be excluded from participation in, any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.

The CleryAct – was enacted in 1990 to require all schools receiving federal monies to collect and publish information about crimes occurring on campus. The Clery Act applies only to institutions of higher education.

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) – Enacted in 1994 to raise awareness of domestic violence and assault crimes against women. •VAWA applies to everyone in America.

Having greater awareness of the above, I can support any individual who feels they have been victim of a crime or discriminated against. Knowledge is power and knowing the resources that are available means we can bring greater awareness to the broader educational community.

This teaching brought a broader awareness to me on those being victimized by either: sex exclusion, campus crimes, domestic violence and assault crimes. 

I gained a deeper understanding of the requirements under Title IX, The Clery Act and Violence Against Women Act.

This training has strengthened and reinforced the current policies and procedures we already have in place.  The parameters  of clery as to when and where a situation occurs and when it may have been brought to campus or occurred within the defined campus area was especially redefined for me.  VAWA and Title IX is not to be taken lightly and the information provided has solidified the importance of our role as a Title IX coordinator and the rights of each student must be handled with care for all parties.that may be involved.

Gaining a more detailed understanding of Title IX and the Clery Act totally reinforced the reason we have so many policies in place.  

There have been quite a few changes since the last time I took similar training, and it was surprising to see how many protections were lost recently. 

I have better and deeper understanding of the clery act and title ix.

I gained a better understanding of the differences and similarities of the VAWA and Title IX policies, what falls within the Clery Act, as well as what the steps are for inverstigting a formal complaint, what steps consistute informal measures, and what the appropriate response is to the complaintant. 

I have a much better understanding of the Clery Action, Vawa, and Title 9. 

I learned about all of the new changes that happended under the previous adminstration and how the laws have developed for the best over the past few months to really help clarify how policies, procedurse and events should be reported and maintained going forward. That there all Clery Reporting should be done prior to October 1st each year.

In this course, I learned about new Title XI requirements, including the fact that now an incident needs to have happed in the school, and and it neeeds to meet the standards of sexual harassment to be cosidered a Title XI breach or sexual harassment case. In addition I learned that it is required that schools display their Title IX coordinator contact information. 

I will apply this knoledge by seeking out the contact information (ie the email address) ot the Titiel XI cordiator on campus so I can report incidences of sexual assault diretly to them. 

I have learned that these acts are important acts and they should always be remembered. They should be followed closely and respected. If anyone violates these acts, it is our responsibility to report these individuals. 

This is very important for not only schools and universities, but everyone to acknowledge.  I've  learned colleges and universities should make information about reported crimes and policies readily available to their community. The themes of the law are transparency and accountability. ALso, recognizing domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking are very serious crimes.  They should be reported as soon as possible 

Good and valuable material. thank you.

I learned the availability of supportive measures along with other regulations (anonymous or personal). 

All schools must use a preponderance of the evidence standard. That means that it is more likely than not that the alleged behavior happened. There are some schools that, given the nature of these allegations and given the repercussions of a finding of responsibility, have a higher standard-of-proof, which is clear-and-convincing evidence. To be clear, this is not as high a standard of beyond-a-reasonable-doubt. What the regulations make clear is that schools have the option to choose whether they use a clear-and-convincing-evidence standard or a preponderance-of-the-evidence standard.

Hello all and welcome to this training. I have learned many things out of this training such as

1. Clery Act and Title IX
  2. Violence against women
  3. The sex of an individual student should not use to include or exclude him or her

I learned a lot about Title IX and sexual misconducts laws in the schools. The Clery Act is new to my knowledge and this presentation also reinforced my understanding on violence against women.

I've learned a lot about the Title IX and various forms of misconduct within the school and how it should appropriately handled in a fair judious manner.

Sign In to comment