Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Overall, I was amazed at the need to be so finite in the description of what is or is not a crime, sexual or otherwise. Over time, there is been a great deal of change thrashing out how to best describe and service those individuals who are hurt.

I have learned that this is so much more involved than I would have thought. Particularly when it comes to what is or is not the school’s responsibility in regards to what crimes are committed. The Clery Geography was of great interest to me. The example that struck me was of the 2 students where Bob attacks Brad with a broken bottle and Brad pulls out a gun and kills Bob. Because the 2 students were off campus, You would not include a statistic for this incident in your disclosures because it occurred off campus at a private facility, not within the school's Clery geography. So, even though it's involving students, it's not included in your Clery Crime Statistics. It makes sense, since it was off campus. It isn’t part of the statistics.

I also learned there is a big difference between a burglary and larceny. The Example made it crystal clear regarding the individual that was not a student breaking into the school classroom as opposed to the student who broke into the school classroom and stole the laptop. Although they are both crimes, would one carry a lesser sentence?

I gained better understanding of the Clery Action, Vawa, and Title 9.

I learned about the time line of Title IX, VAWA, and the Clery Act. The outlined procedure from the time a person comes forward with information about a Title IX or VAWA possible infraction was very helpful. 

Excellent presentation with valuable information.

I learned what  Title IX is and its complexity.  The class taught me what is included in Title IX and what is the responsibility of the school and its policymaking. 

Title IX is definatley a cousre that all higher ed personel should take for the saftey of the faculty and students alike. 

There are a LOT of differences between the Obama and Trump administrations concerning Title IX that resulted in skyrocketed assaults. There are also some inconsistencies with terminology which makes it difficult to solidify how to enact the regulation. Some things should be fluid but there are things, like Title IX, VAWA, Clery Act, that should not be so fluid.

This was a very detailed training on Title IX. I learned a lot of things on how certain situations should be handled and what type of policies we have. 

As a former paralegal and one with 3 Masters in Government-policy and law is of importance to me. I plan to follow this and any other legislation pending or otherwise throughout my educational career.

Having complete knowledge of Title IX is benifical to the cmapus and saftey all al students. 

This training have brought awareness to what Tile IX covers. What sexual harassment is, the different types and how to handle sexual harassment cases. The university must take action once notify and take step to assist victims/complainant and to remain unbiased throughout the process of an investigation. Having a clear policy is very important as well of having a title IX coordinator and that person or person contact information is readily available (phone, email, office location).

Very involved process and shows a need to ahv competent people as advisors and overseeing the application of the law.

Francis Hoban

Title IX and the development of the Clery Act has been around since 1972. Title IX prohibits sex discrimination in education programs that receive federal funding. In 1990, the Clery Act was enacted. It deals with campus safety and security. Under the Clery Act, schools are required to collect and classify crime statistics as well as issue timely warnings and emergency notifications. In 2013, there was a major change to the Clery Act, which was the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act. Three new categories were also added: domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Latest new regulations became effective in August 2020. One of the overriding goals with these new regulations is to create a process that is fair to the complainants and respondents. In June 2020, there was a U.S. Supreme Court case that dealt with sex discrimination in an employment context, and the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that firing an individual for being homosexual or transgender was impermissible sex discrimination.

Title IX covers sexual harassment. VAWA covers domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking. Additionally, Title IX's definition of sexual harassment includes domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking.

Another issue that is important for schools is how a school policy coordinates with drug-free school policies. Schools are required to have a drug free school policy.

In have learnt how important this act is as an instructor and the need for all of us to be as much knowledgable as possible.

I have learned alot of useful information about Title IX Act, Cleary Act and Violance Again Women Act, I actually submitted in the past the Clary Act however I noticed alot of updates that were inroduced recently. It in imperetaive to be knowledagbe of those reports to be able to support the campus, staff, faculty and students.

I have benefitted from the information, particularly the details and 'exceptions' and varieties of situations that could be involved in determining a case when following policies and procedures correctly.

I reconciled the nuances between Title IX and the Clery Act.  My understanding of both statutes has become sharper as a result of this course.  

I did not realize how much Title IX covered and now have a better understanding of why the policies are in place. 

This moddle provided me and taught me with very important information about VAWA, Title IX and the Clery Act. Also, brought awarenes on transgenders student's and the definition and determination of VAWA crimes.

I just wonder if Title IX applies to the American colleges and unievrsities overseas.

Sign In to comment