Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Human Factor | Origin: CM102

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Raising the Bar - Compliant Communications with Students --> The Human Factor

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

It is important to follow the regulatory agencies per your state. Each state has their own cridentials and standards. I am also happy that high pressure sale tactics for interested students is not tolerated.

Ethical decision making in any profession is important. Ethical values that were highlighted were trust, accountability, honesty, and qualified staff.  I intend to apply what I have learned by ensuring that my performance will provide a quality education. My question to other instructors, is what do you do when you feel you are not providing adequate instruction? What tools do we have to improve our skills, other than CEE’s?

Maintaining ethical standard is a cornerstone for the succ of any intitution, so all institution must maintain highest level of ethical standard possible so that they don't get in trouble with the laws and regulation or/and break any government mandated rules. All employees not only must be given proper initial training, but also be given annula or semi-annula refresher training so that they are not following mandated rules and regulations.

Reply to Jamilia Johnson's post:Hi Jamilia, I agree with you on this ehtical standard post and juts to add my thoughts, as you have said, maintaining ethical standard is always a win-win situation where everyone within the organization stays in compliant with the government regulations and build a trust with the public and future students and creates additional moral values for the institution.

Important to remember ethics must be flexible not to their basic principles but to situations.

Ensure cultural conflict reflect ethical standards by the check and balance on all levels.  

Faculty having one credential level higher than what is being taught.

Nolo contendere meaning when a plea is made, and it is not admitting or denying a charge.as the same effect as a guilty plea.

Interesting how the use of counselor or advisor can be prohibited as it may suggest authority.

Separation of job duties to provide cross checks and eliminate conflicts.

Found it interesting that schools cannot rely on safe harbor provisions.  Also, that schools can provide commission/bonus to foreign students based on several qualifications.

​The Dear Colleague letter was entirely new for me. It holds a massive amount of information clarifying incentivized compensation when it comes to employees and recruitment. 

This was a fascinating section. It is a bit unnerving to imagine how much fraud must have occured prior to July of 2011 in order for them to have implemented such changes. 

General overview of rules. Checks and balances in schools to prevent people from from getting excess money for jobs. 

Checks and balances are so important in all industries. Keeping people honest is always a great idea.

Reply to Aretht i's post:Absolutely. Rules and regulations are pefect tools to follow in order to povide excellent service at the institution.

It was interesting seeing rules and regulations that are in place, along with the checks and balances.

I enjoyed learning about the Dear Colleague letter. That is something I have never heard of before. I also enjoyed learning about the separation of duties. Not only is it important for compliance purposes, but from an ethical standpoint as well. In admissions we work closely with financial aid, and while we may know quite a bit that has to do with the financial aid process, we should keep that to ourselves & instead build confidence in the student that they can trust their financial aid advisor to give them complete & accurate information. 

It is important to follow the regulatory agencies per your state. Each state has their own cridentials and standards.

It is interesting to see how much has gone into play since July of 2011. I think it's importants to keep people honest and follow the rules and regulations of each state standards. 

As we learned in a previous module, it is important to just state the facts and to not enter any personal opinions or generalizations when talking to students.  Each state has specific policies to which they must adhere.  It makes sense that some of the duties would be seperated.  It is crucial to have a knowledgeable person in that role to make sure no violations occur.

Everyone that is employed in the school must must foster an ethical, honest, positive culture. 

I believe it is important to the integrity of our schools to maintain a relationship with our students based on honesty and truth. How do you falsely portray your school and bring students in in on a pretense just for a monetary reward, this is cold and calculating.  This is about education, the future of our population not a moment in time, a moment for your own self gratification. I understand why so many entities are involved in maintaining the checks and balances of the higher education system. I an advocate for my students it will be important to be a professional and be aware of the proper channels in which to advise them should they have needs that I cannot assist with.

Sign In to comment