Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Questioning Tools and Techniques | Origin: AD115

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Effective Questioning and Listening --> Questioning Tools and Techniques

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I've learned the importance of the sequencing of questions, the various "traps" in conversation that i should avoid, and other importnat techniques. I intended to apply all of these lessons into my day to day work. 

I appreciate the section regarding "reframing" a question", which I practice almost daily...I am a firm believer of KISS, as best as possible.

Calrification is key, where it reframing the question or using a metaphor

My most significant take away from this section is that in a conversation if you slow down and talk less you can actually set the conversation up to be more productive and informal. 

Reframing questions can provide clarity when individuals are not fully understanding the request. It reduces the chances of misunderstaning. 

I have learned how not to fall into traps of bad questioning and poor listening. It is best to take your time and demonstrate that you are genuinely interested in what the other person has to say.

There are tons of method when asking questions. Utilize framing and reframing, softener, past, present and future sequencing. Avoid falling into traps in questioning. Talk less/listen more, slow down and clarify information. 

I belive that clarification of a questions and reframing are methods that help develop trust between the rep and the prosective student, as well as establish trust and open lines of communication. It is communication that is guided within respectful boundaries. 

I think that clarifying my questions as well as showing that I am an active listener will help me build stronger rapport with my students. As well as clarifying information, this will be the key to a more successful relationship. 

Talk less and listen more

I like how the most basic the tools for producing powerful questions stems from the asker's ability to ask engaging, skilled questions that use framing, softeners and other techniques to ensure the question produces a powerful response too.

The idea of talking less really appeals to me.  I am going to try it out.  Perhaps I can be more effective with that trick.  

Genuine listening is a gift you give to others.

Reframing questions to provide clarity can be so important in effective communication; I think this module does a wonderful job at explaining and providing examples of reframing. 

Reframing questions using metaphors differently was an important communication skill I learned in the module.  Talk less and less more.

-It's important to note that you're not trying to change the content of the question, just the way the receiver feels about it. 

-Past, Present, Future Sequencing's goal is so the receiver sees the issue from varying perspectives and identifies potential solutions. 

-The interrogation technique is a trap because it involves asking multiple questions in a row and, in most cases, only the last question is answered by the receiver. Thus, this techniques leaves questions unanswered. 

The concept of talk less and listen more is really helpful in student interactions. Sometimes students just want to vent, and after you listen you can then offer them a helping hand with a careful choice of words rather than just try to interject and explain something prematurely. 

Comment on Aileen Paez's post: Most of the time we do fall into the trap but if you catch yourself on time you can slow down and clarify for questions but most of all we Learn to truly Listen.

I enjoyed the reminder of being unbiased in our questions. We have a cultural community that takes things for granted that may not apply to everyone. I will spend more time considering if the question I ask will be biased or not.

Sign In to comment