Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creating assessments that are not grade based allow students the opportunity to fail without consequence. This is a key factor in my classroom and I like that there is an actual area of assessment for this type of learning. If you have not failed at something, you haven't really learned. 

Formative Assessment is an interesting concept. I have discussions with my students to see how well they absorbed the module.

And is it time to proceed with the next?

I've always been interested in learning more about offering my students the opportunity to take an IRC. I think these go along way towards the student feeling accomplished and ready to move on in the workforce. I found alot of good information in this unit/module that went towards increasing the knowledge of what certificates were out there.

Formative and Summative Assessments are both key aspects of gauging student learning, and CTE Teachers should be prepared to use both as they engage students with the curriculum. 

Engagement and formative assessment are needed in order to monitor and mesure progress.

Summative and formative assessments seem to be a valuable way of gauging a student's knowledge and proficiency.

Both engagement and assessments monitor student growth. I plan to use both summative and formative assessments in the classroom. I also plan to have the differences between a certificate, license, degree, and certification posted in the classroom. 

As an intstructor, it is critical to assess students along the way-- to make sure that the teaching is progressing in a way that is allowing students to learn, and to ensure that the students are in fact learning!

I was excited to learn about the industry credentials, specifically the stackable optons. I think more than ever we're seeing a rise in employer expectations, especially having multi-skilled employees. I'd be interested in learning more about stackable credentials and how they could be applied in graphic communications, since the field is so flexible and fluid already. I can only imagine what opportunities stackable credentials could do to my students careers! 

I use formative assesment in my classes regularly, so students can learn the concepts without panicking about their grades. I also really liked the entry/exit sheet idea, especially for my print production class and intro to graphic communications class.

Love the movement towards stackable credentials.  It seems that there are probably certifications which could apply accross many different content areas as well: First Aid, OSHA Workplace Safety, CPR.

particularly relevant in demonstrating the need for layered credentials and total life learning

I have learned that the students need to have a structure to ensure their learnimg process is strong and will help them retain what they have learned.

I will incorporate more formative assessments in my classes next semester, and I want to incorporate IRCs into some of my classes. 

I like the idea of the Table of Specifications because it would ensure that all of the course objectives are being measured to ensure the course really is focused on helping students reach those learning outcomes.

It is difficult for me to apply some of the concepts in this module since my classes are entirely online, so there is little one-on-one interaction with students unless they are willing to schedule time with me.  Most work full time jobs, have families, and may be doing classwork in the middle of the night.  However, I do go over the stackable certificates with them during advising sessions when planning their classes and also the differences between certificates and certifications.  I emphasize the importance of certifications to stand out as a paralegal, since it is entirely voluntary, and also the importance of the professional organizations. 

i plan to use a lot more formative assessments in my classes. students need time to practice new skills without worrying about a grade. 

Im going to use more assessments this year.

I found the most value out of this section when it discussed the different types of assessments. I particularly liked “muddiest point” and Google Form “exit slips”, as valuable tools to gage students understanding and retainment of a given lesson or topic.

I enjoyed having examples and descriptions of formative assessment ideas. As a new faculty, I am always looking for new ways to engage my students. I have always used "the muddiest point". I really liked the idea of "self-assessment" and letting the students use sticky notes and place them on the board. This strategy will get the students up and moving and allow me to assess where their level of understanding is currently. 

It is important that materials taught to students be of a level that follows industry standards. By staying in touch within the industry of instruction, you can keep student up to date with new technology, which will make them employable when they have achieved the education level needed for thier credential or degree.

Sign In to comment