Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned that there are many other methods that can be used to assess student understanding of a topic than just exams.

Using formative assessment along the way to check for understanding is one of the best ways teachers can ensure that their instruction and learning opportunities for students are effective. Preparing students for a final summative assessment by providing them with a roadmap of the assessment (assessed items, rubric with criteria for success, and point values) is a great way to make your expectations clear and reduce test anxiety.

I am looking forward to going back through my course and aligning my course objectives with my summative and formative assessments. I like the idea of looking at formative assessments as a way of guaging where students are with the stated objectives. Often, the content covered in a single class period is so immense (I teach college-level nursing courses) that it can get overwhelming trying to figure out what to focus in on (for me and my students!) - coming back to the objectives, then building formative assessments to reinforce those objectives and summative assessments to evaluate mastery . . . so logical, but had previously never occured to me. 

My students get ticket in quizzes and we end days with jeopardy or the index card to indicate top 3 things learned. 

It is very important to try to engage all students. Adapting to the different learning styles is key.

I loved learning more about student engagement techniques, especially when it comes to their assessments! I plan to utilize the ideas presented in this module as part of my lesson development and execution. CTE is exciting stuff!

Both formative and summative assessments are important when checking students skills and understanding of the material.  Some students work well with paper, others on a computer, others verbally and still others can demonstrate what they have learned.  A teacher needs to be responsive to all types of assessment possiblities.

After reading about the importance of industry certifications in CTE programs, I will look into be able to offer these opportunities to my students in the coming years. 

Good information worth my time to read. Has anyone used the NCCER assignment and accesments in your classroom?

Students learn at different rates and in different methods. Visual or hands-on assessments of their newly required knowledge and skills are a good indicator of their proficiency. As their confidence increases the fear of taking certification tests is greatly reduced.

I would like to look into revamping some formative assessments that the students have during lab. Maybe including more remedial options where allowed and optional assessments to help the students track their progress. 

I knew student engagement was an important aspect, but I didn't know just how important it could be to not only a successful learning environment, but to the student's future. I plan to utilize more group projects and industry related assignments to assess students in addition to traditional tests. 

Reply to Gary Smith's post: I agree that the entry/exit slip is a nice way to gauge student understanding quickly and without putting anyone on the spot.

Reply to Paige Brooks-Jeffiers's post: The designing backwards part seems counterintuitive at first, but it is a great way to ensure that you are designing assessments based upon the learning objectives, and it seems like the assignments flow naturally from that.

One of the parts that stuck with me the most was the uncomplicated yet detailed table of specifications for internal alignment. I really want to design something like that for each unit or learning objective in my courses.

I also like the stackable credentials. As humans we love to collect things, just like the commercials that encourage us to "collect all 4" kids' meal toys. I agree that learning one credential often encourages us to go for another.

I am a welding instructor and I use assessment every week with welding tests to see if my students are understanding and performing what I demonstrated for them at the beginning of the week. I wish I could find an not so black and white way of doing things besides testing but at the end of the day the industry standerd is the Weld test. Not just a well the student kinda gets it.

I have used and continue to use summative assessments throughout my classes, but I like the idea of beginning at the end as a way to stay focused and on task.

Formative and summative assessments lead to a cleaner dispensation of information.  Stackable certificates is a powerful method of vertical learning and instills a sense of accomplishment and goal attainment.

Establishing strong and representative assessment is critical to the process of providing usable feedback for students. Utilizing these assessments to match industry needs is performed by providing opportunities for students to earn relevant industry credentials.  

I liked the different formative assessment ideas such as exit slips, free write, and self-assessment.

Sign In to comment