Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I'm excited to create engaging approaches to formative assessments with the students. I expect to spend more time engaging with the students to ensure they are learning more than what they will be tested on. Summative assessments are ideal for meeting academic standards and degree requirements, but formative learning will morph into the skills that will give an edge to future leaders.

This was a good review of summative vs. formative assessment.  

I gained some useful tools to try (like the "muddiest point"...very apropos for our horticulture program!). 

Formative, Summative, Industry Credentials

Formative assessments allow teachers to use multiple ways to check student's progress and their own teaching. Summative assessments should be used at the end of instruction and must be aligned to the learning objectives.  I also learned that we need to provide all students opportunities for success and a good way to do that is to ensure our assessments are authentic to the job and by including all learning domains (cognitive, psychomotor and affective) when developing assessments. 

Competency-based learning only makes sense in a CTE classroom. 

I learned the difference of formative and summative assessments and how to use both

Stackable credentials are hugely motivating for students because they offer reward without the overwhelming specter of a definitive commitment, which can be a relief at the high school age of our students.

Sign In to comment