Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ilearned about my leadership qualities

I enjoyed seeing how your leadership legacy can help change outcomes across the board. Not only does your legacy help inspire, focus, and establish priorities but it allows me to see the impact I am making. 

I wonder the year of some of the higher education statistics or if my insights are just off. The concepts felt spot on.  The strategies and reflection were helpful.

Great opportunity to reflect on what we would like to accomplish and leave behind. What type of positive impact on society we are hoping to make.

Understanding the needs of the higher education industry and the direction the industry is expected to shift towards helps a would-be leader know how to refine their focus on what their legacy should be. Leadership that is embodied and modeled helps the surrounding faculty, staff, and students see and want to express it themselves. Inspiration to beget future leaders is possible when fundamental obstacles are addressed, such as the reasons key demographics pull down completion rates. 

Prof. Bowen's research was very interesting and inspiring.

I have come to recognize that your leadership legacy is develop throughout not just at the end. I learned more about the challenges of non completion rates in comparison to ecionomic status. 

While I already knew that the amount of financial aid a student from low to middle income receives affects their ability to attend and graduate, Idid not realize that many times, schools with more "influence" can often find means to lower the net cost even more than smaller schools. 

Interesting stuff

This was an interesting module. You really have to dive deep to figure out what you want your legacy to be. I love the process of reflection as it helps me to become a better leader. I was able to establish some new priorities and come up with a statement. I am certain it will change over time. 

I also found the information on program completion valuable. I knew that there are disparities but the impact is profound. I have a new mission to help be part of the solution in doing better with students that come from modest situations!

I enjoyed William Bowen interview so much that I went to youtube and watched Part 1 & Part 2 of the whole interview.  I found it interesting how higher education has impacted our society and particularly the importance of people applying for college to remove the generational challenge.

I've learned more about the importance of creating a good leadership leagacy statement that reflects who I am as a leader.  I have a better understanding of the challenges faced by higher education in today's world after taking this course.

Leaders lead by example and integrity.

Learn new strategies and believe in the success of others.

I learned from this course.

Thank you!

I really appreciated how this connected with the current higher education strategy and I always appreciate the worksheets and the interactive elements.

In this sessions I learned a lot about leadership legacies. I plan to keep applying what was in this chapter.

I found the leadership legacy worksheet to be very helpful, I will use it in the future. I found the concept of low completion rates being the biggest challenge interesting - in my option, the biggest challenges are the factors contributing to low completion rates. I view low completion as the outcome of challenges such as high cost, lack of information, etc. 

I learned that there was research showing  that low income students are price sensitive for grad rates and completion rates are a function of how students grew up. However, what I found most interesting was that the reason for undermatching according to William Bowen was lack of information instead of financial issues that would lead to students not applying to schools they knew they would not be able to afford or recieve enough aid coming from "modest circumstances". 

When applying to college, I was fortunate enough to be given a lot of support and information from my school staff and from graduates and staff of other schools. According to my school, I could have placed and should have applied to more prestigious schools and that aid would cover me when I knew (though we were rich in the slightest) my family made too much to qualify for enough. After talking with others outside of my school, I was encouraged to apply to a state school where I got the same degree, stayed for the same amount of years and was in 0 debt after graduation. Unfortunately, friends of mine who didn't have other people  talking to them, matched with a school that fit them but ended up with $50,000+ in debt. I undermatched intentionally, not because of lack of informstion but because of lack of funds and willingness to go more in debt than needed. Because of this, I have and will encourage students to consider their financial resources and background in addition to their academic background when considering their higher education options.

Reviewing your legacy is one of the most important things you can do. It provides you the opportunity to prioritize your purpose and look at the big picture.  Often we get lost in the daily task and forget the future. 

Sign In to comment