Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

With online learning, everything must be available to every student to maxamize the learning. We have to come up with assignments and situations easily available for every student. The ADA helps provide students with disabilites the oppourtunity to learn at the fullest as well. 

I'm fully aware of such services for disabled students.  It can be difficult when a student makes the next step to a Post-Secondary school with arrangments not being made in advance for disabled services.

Online instructors must understand what is expected from students with disibilities.  I will be proactive.

We are obligated to be able to present materials in a manner that all students can learn successfully in compliance with ADA standards. You should investigate if your institution already has the resources in place to make the accomodations and be proactive about it.

Having the knowledge of the different laws is vey important, having close caption on some matrial is helpful

It is important to see to it that all students with or with out disabilitys have the same opportunity's for a good education and that if a student has a disabilty that could hamper there learning, that some provisions may have to be made to assist said student.   

Brown vs the Board of Education helped stop discrimination.

GLoria Online instructors must understand what is expected from students with disabilities. It is important to be aware fo the needs of each student not just the one with a disability. 

Its important to have many ways for the material to be given to the students. 

As online instructors we have to become more aware of ways to identify disabilties. Guide students to utilize resources so that we knowhow to best accommodate them.

Students with disabilities can be broadly interpreted and therefore misunderstood.  As teachers, we will need to work with the school in developing our curriculum to ensure students with disabilities have equal access to technology, tools, and other content delivery vehicles for our courses. 

I learned about the laws that support students with disabilities and the responsiblities the higher education has to support the accessibiltiy for equal access to instuction.  As an online Instructor we must ensure students with disabilities can succeed.

Since I have been teaching for a while, I have had to take many training sessions in regards to the process when students disclose a disability. THe 'tricky' part is what thes student vs. leadership view as reasonable accommodations and this is often a point of debate as to what the request may be from the student. With testing accommodations, the extreme end of accommodations is rather impractical, at times, so a that a one hour exam is taking upwards of -6 hours to proctor just one student based on all of the 'requirements' in the plan as devised by the Diversity Office at the college. Sections 5o4 and 508 are very helpful. 

With teaching nursing clinicals at a hospital that has 'conditions' for nurses, this brings another element when a student has accommodation requests that conflict with the healthcare organization as to what is deemed a reasonable plan for accommodating a disability while fulfilling the needs with taking care of patients in a fast paced environment. 

The best information I learned about was a nurse educator who was also a lawyer specializing in disabilities in the educational setting . . . .. it was dynamic with relevance and real, true to life situation pertaining to the students I teach.

I learned much about the laws that protech those with disabilities, and will make sure I am compliant when creating my courses.

Reply to Heidi STREETMAN's post:

This is really interesting! I'm not new to disabilities in the classroom either, but are there helpful hints/tips/tricks or language to encourage these students to come forward or to help them get access to these services without making them embarrassed or "ashamed" to bring up the disabilities? Or more particularly for those students who do not feel comfortable telling you about a disability or don't know they have a disability? (or perhaps are not willing to admit they have one, but there are clear signs). 

ADA is essential to be well informed about.

Good review of the laws that pertain to individuals with disabilities. I have in my syllabus information for anyone seeking assistance to contact the Disability Service Center so that accomodations can be provided. I am more aware now though that it is the same for online courses as well as face 2 face.

Preparing you lectures properly is critical in covering your butt.  Make sure to cover all aspects of what a person may need is should be a part of any final review of a module or lecture.

Very interesting, I think it would a good time to make some new friends at the DSS center.

Being mindful of the various possible types of disabilities and ways to effectivley get all the information equally presented for all needs.  

Sign In to comment