Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The difference between disability and reasonable accomodations.

Respectfully,

Kendrick Kim

kkim1@fullcoll.edu

It made me realize that as we are developing our distance learning that we need to check on additional assistive technologies like closed-captioning and LMS compliance.

It is crucial for the online instructor to be aware of the resources available for students with disabilities.

A lot to think about with respect to ADA and online programs. One must take many thinks into consideration when developing their courses.

Instructors must be knowledgeable of disabilities and be prepared to implement reasonable accommodatioons for those that have a documented need for them. 

OK. Here is an honest question. I know that it may not be the popular one, but I have never shied away from them. What if you're teaching a trade that requires the use of a ladder and a student is in a wheelchair or has a terrifying and debilitating fear of heights? Should they be counseled out of the course? I have had students who literally said in class that they will get violent if they hear someone talk in a certain tone. Is someone like that ready for a course or employment that involves dealing with different people or should they seek help they need and then come back when they're ready?

The transition from a k-12 environment to a post secondary online environment will be a tough one for a person with a disability.

Going from brick and mortar to online because of Covid was a big change. I really hadn't thought of changing the way I present my class. We were already using a LMS but we were in the building. Now I realize some of the changes I need to make. So far everything has worked but there is always room for improvement.

Everyone deserves an education. The key is what is the disbility and are you prepared for what you may encounter. It takes a special teacher to help an adult. 

I found it interesting that the recommendation was for the instructor to be proactive. Empowering the instructor in this way seems a very effective approach to be sure that legal standards are met on an individual basis.

On top of planning our lessons we need to keep in mind th ADA,  Does the school provide those things listed below? I know most are trying to get away from supplying telecommunications products, paper for copies, and want to maintain a low budget.

the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) set forth by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) (http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/). Areas which are covered by these national standards include:

• Software applications
  • Operating systems
  • Web-based internet information and applications
  • Telecommunication products
  • Video and multimedia products
  • Scanners, copiers, desktop and portable computers

The real question is how can a teacher adapted to special needs if we have not been fully taught about how to communicaite with this group.

Creativity is key to ensuring all students have access to the course information.  Besides our legal obligation, we are abligated as educators to make sure students understand the course contents

I was aware of the accommodations required for students with documented disabilities.  I have experienced this as a parent helping my child navigate services in the post-secondary environment.  It is key that students are informed early on in Admissions that they must be proactive in communicating their disability and needs.  I want to learn more about how our institution is addressing this in the new hybrid / online environment. 

With the student population that I have received over the years that have had IEP's in the public school system, it is a struggle. In the beginning, it is not always known to the instructor which is a challenge as well. Once identified it can be a lift to set the student up for success on the instructional team. Instructors do not have, for the most part, formal educational training so they are left at a disadvantage. Due to this a workaround that I have used is to meet with the student(s) that seem to struggle with getting their work done, performing at an expected level of competency, or understanding the content of the curriculum. This has been addressed by having weekly meetings for those that are underperforming and open office hours where any student can log in and ask questions. These seem to have worked for my students so far. 

It is very important that instruction know the law regarding disability accommodation.

Nee to make sure that learining materials are available to all students, which includes close captioning when required.

This material was something I have first hand knowledge of as I have a son with disabilities. The transition from K-12 to college can be very difficult. There is a great deal of structure for students with disabilities and a 504 plan in place. In college, there is often not as much structure and students with disabilities tend to struggle during the transition. It is important for students to utilize the Accessibility office to set up a plan for success

Realizing how important it is to not only make sure students have the  access to the work, but to make sure it is ADA compliant. 

Helpful to better understand IDEA, Rehab act 504 & 508B & ADA.

It's frustrating when student have not contacted the Office of 

disabilities services and expect instructors to make changes to accommodate the challenges they're encountering. 

It's the institution's responsibility to be ADA compliant and we instructors can assist by making sure our materials are accessible. 

Sign In to comment