Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Equality of education whether one with out disability or one with disability is being enforced by law.

We must accommodate all students whether they are handicap or not. Our teaching institutions should provide the online instructors with the necessary tools to teach handicapped students.  

Accommodations required should be established prior to ensure that there will be no issue concerning the translation of materials in accordance with an individual’s disability or learning style.

This module makes me quite thankful to my mentor teacher who helped me get started in education. His guidance on course creation and syllabus writing defacto included provisions for this legal responsibility, and he very well communicated it to me. The content of this section was familiar but worth review.

Awareness is one of the relevant factors that I have learnt from this topic. The information that I post online can cause conflicts especially if I fail to follow the required policies set by the educational institution. Awareness is therefore an essential factor that I have learnt from this topic.

I learned that  having the course content provided in a variety of ways and also communicating with the Office of Disability Services is a great way to ensure all course material is given to all students. 

It was a very informative section. I am not a US citizen so this section provided me the knowledge on the steps taken by the US government to ensure the accessibility of learning to all learners regardless of their physical characteristics. In my country and educational institute, we have similar regulations and rule to protect the right of disabled people. 

I knew many of the requirements by the ADA however new to me was closed captions needed.

Disabilities and requirements and/or items to consider when teaching isn't anything new but something to always be thinking about

Students with disabilities are entitled to equal access to post-secondary education by Individuals with Disabilities Act, Section 504 and Section 508 as well as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

While there has been tremendous progress through the years, the advent of technology and various pedagogical practices that benefit some students clearly can be a hindrance to others. Developing a curriculum is a challenge on many, many levels, not the least of which is providing the appropriate levels of challenge and access to a diverse group of learners.

It is particularly interesting to see how laws have evolved since the Civil Rights Act to accommodate for disabilities.  I appreciate that more consideration and support is being provided.  It does seem challenging to provide an opportunity for different learning modalities while also needing to limit some types of these modalities but I suppose some creativity can go a long way.

Several laws have been passed in order to make sure that people with disabilities a given the same opportunities as anyone else. It is our job as educators to familiarize ourselves with such legislation in order to better accomodate our disabled students. We must also be conscious of the differences between different pieces of legislation. 

I was surpirsed to hear that the number of "disabled" students was so high.  With so many regulations, Acts, and programs, it is such a challenge for educators to be aware.  It is extremely challenging when the students themselves are not utilizing resources available to them.  WIth this new information, I'm definitely going to be more mindful of how I coduct my class.

It was great to get a refresher course on Brown VS Topeka Board of Education 1954, Civil Rights Act 1964 and Rehabilitation Act of 1973. I was also surprised that 75% of students are disabled . I find that very hard to believe. Why are so many people disabled ? Just curious of what is going wrong in America. I do believe that everyone should be able to access data in means in which they can excel and grow.

I learned that providing accommodations extends outside of the classroom. I know now that if I have a student with a disability who needs to use the library, that they can expect the library to have accommodations. I want to find out who to direct them to at our library.

I lerned about  the ADA.  Online instructors often cannot identify disabilities. Students need to find the disability center on campus and report their disability(s) by having it documented. There are resources and information that can help them with any educational disabilities.  

A major takeaway I took from this presentation is how to be accomodating. Accomodations does not mean changing the curriculum for a student with disabilities, but rather, providing the appropriate tools and resources to help them be successful with the curriculum. 

Accommodation for students with special needs is easy to see and understand in the In Class programs yet the same concepts and considerations must be extended to on line courses.  It may seem obvious but remains important to be compliant with all applicable laws.

I learned that the students are protected against discrimination based on race, national origin, and color; that they will be have an equal education.  Then several years later, the people is protected with the Civil Rights Act.

Sign In to comment