Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online Communication Strategies | Origin: EL201

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Online Communication: Engaging and Retaining Online Learners --> Online Communication Strategies

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Communicating online has to be as interactive as in-person to make the students feel heard and connected.

What I learned from this course is the importance of setting the correct tone for effective communication at the beginning of the course while reflecting generational and personality differences.  

This block brings up some interesting scenarios for me. Since I have been around for awhile ( baby boomer) The reinforcement I grew up with was simple either it was right or wrong. If it was right, good job continue on, if it is wrong, correct it, learn from it and continue on. The current generation has not been brought up that way, they are much more diverse in their upbringing and have experienced more social pressures and opportunities than any previous group of individuals. So I believe I understand the need to give them as much positive reinforcement as I possibly can. Each one of them is a unique individual and I have always wanted them to feel that I am willing and able to address their needs on a one on one basis.

Online communication needs to be interactive and meaningful. Instructors need to acknowledge or inquire any emotion reflected by students to ensure that there are no miscommunicatio.

It is just not how you communicate with students but what. That will be the difference between understanding and miscommunication which could lead to withdrawl for the student. Effects are bills to the school and student and instructor have both lost their confidence.

Using positve and affctive statements and words in a positve manner.

In order to communicate effectively in an online environnment we as instructors need to be mindful of word choice, emotions, thoughts and concerns of the students. 

I learned that it is important to Use positve and affctive statements and words in a positve manner.

I learned the importance of validating students emotions in emails. 

Reinforce collaborative relationship tone is improtant to keep a goo line of communication open with a online student.

Seth Soronnadi

Iearned that to improve confidence and good result "The ARCS-based email template can be used to help staff construct more effective emails. Such an email would need to contain statements designed to gain students’ attention, demonstrate relevance, and enhance confidence and satisfaction." 

Online teaching demands specific communication skills. 

These skills have named categories (affective, tentative, cohesive, and more) which when used in appropriate sequence (attention, relevance, confidence...), overcome the limitations of online communication. 

I learned that i can personalize my written communication by using emoticons to express feelings, bracketing my thoughts to infer a shared personalized feeling, and self-disclosure to heighten a personal connection in my e-mail communications.

Communication is key whether online or in person.  Learning how to communicate effectively via email, chats sessions, IM, or other formats is important for the students as well as for the instructor. I have learned a bit about the different methods (and word smithing) to use when communicating with students.  As I have stated to students who come out of my program and go on an interview to obtain a job-"You never get a second chance at making a first impression" -so bring your A game to the meeting.  This is also true when meeting students online or inperson for the first time.  I believe it is also important to address students as their name appears on the school records and allow students to correct you if they prefer to be called something else. (ex. a student's first name is Jackson but they state they would like to be called Jack hence it would be noted).

Communication and being human. To keep good direction in class yet to know everyone has their own situation.

Keeping communication on a positive note.  Helps build rapport and trust.

Effect communication must be two way, I found the Zoom is the best tool for online communication. I can tell my students more comfortable than communication in person. Not just that I can greet the student by name but also can reach their emotion and response quickly. I set up the zoom for my office hours both before and after the class meeting.

This module provided awesome material on the strategies for online communication (e.g.,providing personalized communication with online students can be achieved by implementing serveral proven strategies; such as: congratulations & welsome calls, using names in all correspondence, virtual meetings, media-enriched communications, orientation sychronouse chat, and ongoing reminders). This module also highlighted on interactive messages & cohesive statements. As well as, responsive sequence and ARCS-based emails.  

Being able to communicate effectively is key, reinforcing positive atitude, positive feedback, encouraging words all contrtibute to the success of the student

Sign In to comment