Measuring Good Communication | Origin: EL105
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Online Language: Communicating with Students --> Measuring Good Communication
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
I learned that utilizing rubrics is crucial to maintain communication and clarity
I learned and plan on applying a Value Statement, so students know expectations and act accordingly.
Communication means being approachable.
In this module I learned that rubrics help set clear expectations and support fair assessment of online communication. I currently use them to evaluate discussions and other assignments.
Timely feedback on student question. Student interaction singular or in a group to build on the subject being taught. Assessment quizzes to gage retention. Review of material for final test, or some of the thing I learned in this moduleComment on Aricka McCauley's post:
Rubrics is tool we use to measure the effectiveness of our messages, convey information, measure retention, receive feedback, or communicate expectations. I see them as useful tools to pattern consistency.
The usage of Rubrics and understanding how they can be used as a tool for the on-line learning.
Good communication can be measured by accuracy and supporting reference.
In this module, I learned how rubrics can be used to assess communication in an online course. Rubrics provide clear expectations for students and help instructors evaluate participation consistently and fairly. I play to apply what I learned by using rubrics to assess discussion board participation, focusing on areas such as timeliness, relevance, quality of writing, and contribution to the discussion.
Communication can be assessed in a class. You can evaluate grammar, timeliness, relevance, justification, netiquette, and contribution. The instructor's guidelines need to be simple and clear.
Personally, in all my years as a training manager and instructor, I have always felt good communication practices are very important. Taking the time to point out possible mistakes, rude comments, and such should only help the learner become better at their area of study as well as interacting with others
This topic showed me that good communication can be measured by how clear, timely, and engaging it is for students. When expectations are clear and feedback is helpful, students are more likely to stay involved and understand what is expected. Balance is also very important, where instructors guide discussions without taking over, and use tools like rubrics to support consistency and understanding.
students need good communication between the instructor and themselves.
I think the most informative part for me was too frequent communication.
Good communication online can be measured by how clear, timely, and easy to understand my messages are, and whether students actually respond and stay engaged. By keeping my instructions simple, checking in regularly, and making sure my feedback helps students know exactly where they stand.
The example rubrics were helpful. I think it's important sometimes to be a sage.
An instructor's role is to facilitate communication among students in discussion boards. This can be done by encouraging discussion as well as provided clear guidelines such as rubrics to students.
instructors should set clear expectations for all coursework and use rubrics, ensure students understand the expectations and the way the instructor will perform both summative and formative evaluations
I learned there is a certain balance required to keep students engaged in online discussions. You don't want to dominate their interactions by being overly involved, but you also don't want to be too far removed either. Highlighting good interactions and acknowledging students by name is a great way to encourage good behaviors to continue, and assigning students to lead discussions and online interactions is a great way to help them develop leadership skills. Essentially, how the Professor interacts in those spaces and the expectations he or she sets can really make a difference in how the students show up and participate as well.