Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

From this section, I have learned that hybrid courses could be useful in my area of teaching. Having both online and in-person class could really benefit the students. For instance, by having online assignments the students are able to work at their own pace and focus on what is trying to be taught. Versus trying to complete the assignment within a class period where they may feel rushed and are least likely to put in effort.

Providing additional resources for students reflective of the course to help support learning. 

Flexible Time
Learn at Your Own Pace
Your Classroom Will be Where You Choose to Be
Communicate with Your Instructors More Easily
Have More Time for Your Hobbies
Be More Motivated to Attend the Classes & Participate
Gain Time Management Skills
Improve Your Technical Skills

Interaction is key - student-student interaction and student-instructor interaction.  

Online learning is majorly growing in popularity and as an instructor I too must embrace technology.  At our institution a survey indicated 79% of students prefer online.

As a welding instructor, the majority of my instruction is hands on. Students obviously have to get their hands dirty, so to speak, to learn to weld. This course has given me a new respect for other forms of learning that my students could benefit from.

I try to provide a very structured online class, but I need to remember that not everyone may learn the material the way I have arranged it.  

Great time management skills are crucial to succeed

Time is the biggest challenge of online learning. An instructor MIA is a big worry for online students.

It can be difficult to keep up with all of the newer technology but it can be important in order to reach your students.

instructors should include optional online resources for learners who need further instruction.

Some ways to ensure active learning for students are to include planned and structured opportunities for regular interaction with the instructor (particularly for feedback) and with other students. Provide a number of outside resources that students can choose from to fit their learning styles and to provide resources that help them to continue learning and working with the information after the course ends. The use of newer technologies and social media is also helpful, as particularly younger students are familiar with and interested in these. Overall, connection to a learning community and various pathways that lead to the same objective increase active learning.

The biggest complaint of online learning is "Where's my professor?" I have heard this before quite frequently at a previous learning institution that only had asynchronous programs. Students were not given access to subject matter experts and were expected to use only what was available in the courses to "figure it out". Moving forward, if programs are primarily asynchronous in their start/end times, material and assignments, having a synchronous element to connect directly with instructors (and students if possible) may help incorporate more active learning.

According to IBM, most students learn 5 times more information in an online course.

Comment on Thomas Pullin's post: Hi Thomas, I agree. The online learning platform allows students to have flexibility. Some programs even allow students to learn at their own pace, independently. I have learned so much that I can apply to my faculty role as an online instructor. 

Sign In to comment