Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Challenge of Inactive Learning | Origin: EL120

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Fully Online Doesn’t Mean Inactive --> The Challenge of Inactive Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The point about how crucial it is to address boredom and staying on top of disengaged students (and how it 9is central to all instructional planning) was a key takeaway for me.  Also, the reminder that stduents are dfferent and will have different stages in their learning journey, and so not a formula for what it takes to keep all engaged and participating in the learning process. We need to explore and stay open to new strategies for each class.

Stay engaged in order to monitor the flow of the classroom.

It is very important to address the problem of boredom, especially with online classes.  I believe it helps to connect the content to something in the students' lives...whether it be real world examples or discussing how they will use this information or skill in their new career choice that they are working towards.  When students see value in what they are learning, they should be more engaged.

Boredom can be a state of mind that good instructors should "try" address

I found that it is interesting that instructional design is a fluid process. This topic has changed my perspective about teaching a class. Initially, I thought that my prep work was all that I need before a class starts. This topic has increased my awareness about the student and some of the challenges they might face. Being flexible abd adaptive is key.

When a student is bored, the instructor must be attuned to the disengagement.  The instructor should try to redirect the attention to actively engage the student.

I know that the challenge I have with these course is staying active.  I am an audible person, Like to listen to a leacture, see it on the screen and then I can remember.  Reading it does not work for me.  I have to read these slides sometimes 3 to 8 times before it registers what I am reading.  Thus these modules take 8 to 10 hours for me to finish.  I wish they had someone reading the slides rather then expect me to read them.

This brings up some excellent points. A lot of course success depends on the student's attitude towards the work. 

An interesting read.

Inactive learning disengage students

Sometimes I do not thionk it is boredom as it is they doi not understsand and will not ask questions. I have had many students feel that way and what I do is contact them and ask what is going with them. I have received many asnwers and most of them I have had to create step by step instructions for them to continue on with the class.

Whle I agree that students can disengage due to a predetermination that the course will be of no value - a waste of their time, there are a LOT of reasons why working adult students disengage.  There are priorities that do not apply to the full time graduate student or even the college student.  I'm not talking about football games or fraternity/sorority events - my students are typically a generation behind me - not 3.  Jobs, kids, grandkids, homes - life.  It's not all about boredom.

Communication, feedback and interactive format will keep students engaged.

Be flexible in design and do not look at all students the same. 

Reach out to students when you see they are not engaged. Adapt and adjust teaching style to each student individually. Remember that what may have engaged one student or a group of students that doesn't mean it will work for another student or group of students. 

Inactive learning is not effective. I will communicate with my online faculty, the importance of realizing that while context is fixed, instructional methods are not. If a student demonstrates behaviors that indicate he/she is bored or disengaging, instructor must respond and adapt immediately.

Through this section I learned that I need to do more than just lectures and skill practice with my students. I need to create more activities to keep the students moving and actively engaged in learning. They need to stay excited in order to learn and, therefore, I need to make changes to my teaching methods in order to meet all the needs of each student.

Pulse checks are important to gauge attention, interest and comprehension.

Mismanagement of time, prioritizing tasks, content is not stimulating

Sign In to comment