Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Best practice is preparation, testing functionality of online/virtual tools prior to the beginning of course.

I cant wait to use these tools I am learning.

Finding new and exciting tools is a great thing. However, I think we dive into the use of something that seems "cool" and "engaging" to students without measuring the effectiveness of the tool. For instance, I am using some great Adobe Spark presentations, but I do not have a measurement to say whether a Jpeg of a PP slide that tells them what to do vs a Spark Webpage that looks really professional, is more effective in their learning and the communication of what is due that week. Tools are only as good as their use by the students.

what ive learned from this module is that technology has almost no boounds. The amount of information at our finger tips as instructors and as well as for the students is unprecedented. Utilizing this technology will help draw a connection from the instructor to the student in many diverse ways. 

I have learned that i need to find the right technology that fits my teaching style and is easy for my students to use so they can learn. 

"When a technology tool is difficulty to learn or use or it is not used for the proper function, teaching and learning are inhibited. The technology tool should support, not hinder, the teaching and learning process.  Assessment of each technology tool provides essential feedback as to whether to continue to use it or to investigate another technology tool better serve the instructor and students, If a technology tool cannot function in a manner in which it is needed, it will not be an effective teaching and learning tool."

This statement gives the best best summary for this section.  It is very important that a instructor not only knows how to use the tools that she or he is using, it's important that the instructor chooses the correct online tool/technology.

This module reinforced the idea that we don't have to use all of the features of an online tool just because they are available. It makes more sense to assess the effectiveness of each tool and be selective with what we use. 

There are a variety of tools we can use. We need to research and evaluate which tools will help students with the learning outcomes. Obrtaining feedback, from students is also a good idea to see if the tool is actually helping them. 

Continuing to question the effectiveness of a technology tool is crucial throughout the course, not just in the feedback at the end. 

I try to provide many different ways of learning material with different types of media. That way students can engage however they feel is best. 

Instructors must be able to use different teaching styles based on the enviroment they are teaching in. Variables include teaching different classes, a variety of classroom settings (online/in class), and students learning in various ways.

well i think this coarse would definitely help New up in coming instructors  

Reply to Robert Lawrence's post:I agree, over the years I have learned to adapt my delivery methd and ineraction with students depending on demographics,class size, etc. Be flexable but maintain the objective.

One size technology does not fit all; investigate the best tool for the online job.

Through a student-centered approach, active learning develops along with critical thinking and problem solving. Therefore, technology tools must be chosen to facilitate this type of learning.

Since teaching and communication require effective delivery of the message by the teacher, it also requires the student to understand so the technology used should be the one best suited for both the teacher and the student.

I learned the different types of technology tools and how to usse them in the classroom.

In online learning, the tendency to depend upon one online learning tool can limit not only the creativity of course design but student learning. That being said, various tools need to be useful for the purpose for which they are used. Using a variety of tools is not a benefit if the tools are not well matched to the learning outcomes.

Technology tools are essential tools for teaching and interacting with students, as long as they are used in a manner that allows each tool to be used effectively. 

I have had technology tools hinder the teaching and learning process. I plan to research the appropriate tools and make sure I am properly trained on the tool to ensure fluidity. 

Sign In to comment