Projecting Your Presence | Origin: EL102
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Online Teaching Techniques --> Projecting Your Presence
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
In this module, I learned how sharing an instructor’s qualifications, professional experience, and relevant achievements can establish credibility and build students’ trust. I also learned that authority is strengthened through clear communication, subject knowledge, and consistent support for students.
I intend to apply this by including a brief professional introduction in my courses and explaining how my experience connects to the learning objectives. I will also share practical examples, set clear expectations, and provide constructive feedback. My goal is to help students feel confident in my guidance and comfortable asking questions and participating.
In online and traditional classrooms, teachers use different strategies to understand, motivate, and engage their students. However, these strategies can be different in online classes because there is less face-to-face interaction. Teachers need to adjust the way they communicate to build a connection with their students
Creating a connection with students in an online course requires consistent communication and active participation from the instructor. I can build trust by being approachable, responding to students regularly, and encouraging them to participate in discussions and class activities. Providing opportunities for students to share their experiences and ideas can also create a welcoming environment where they feel comfortable participating and asking for help when needed.
I'm already doing most of these things, which is great. This segment of the course gave me validation that what I'm doing is appropriate and proper.
I learned that being present and engaged as an instructor is important, especially in an online setting. I plan to apply this by communicating clearly, being approachable, and making sure my students feel supported and involved.
Este curso me ayudó a fortalecer la enseñanza en línea, para que la presencia como docente sea un acompañamiento continuo y lograr que los estudiantes se sientan motivados para adquirir nuevos conocimientos que puedan emplear en su vida profesional. De manera que mi presentación a los estudiantes de forma cercana y profesional desde la bienvenida pueda conectar a la comunicación respetuosa y personalizada, estos gestos entregan confianza y motivación para una participación más activa.
Saludos cordiales.
Building rapport with students asynchronously is different than a physical classroom in that I must be mindful that providing visual and auditory information about myself through video or auditory recordings gives them a truer sense of who I am. I also need to make sure that I provide them the opportunity to give similar information about themselves so that they feels seen, heard, and cared for by their instructor.
Interaction during an online course is a must. The instructor needs to be engaged with student questions and make sure they apply to posts in a timely manner so students stay active as well.
Being present in an online class builds trust and motivation, helps students stay engaged, and creates opportunities for meaningful interaction. I encourage students to speak with me and their peers face to face, rather than relying only on chat. My biggest personal challenge in some classes is getting students to show their full faces on camera.
I learned that projecting your presence in an online course is essential for building trust, motivation, and engagement. Even when teaching remotely, students need to feel that the instructor is accessible, confident, and genuinely involved in their learning.
I intend to apply this by maintaining regular communication, providing clear and timely feedback, introducing myself and encouraging students to share their own backgrounds and interests. I also believe that connecting the course content with real-world examples and my professional experience can help create a stronger sense of presence and make learning more meaningful.
It's important to keep online learners engaged.
A part of successful teaching is to constantly motivate your students.
It is imperative to show students confidence in order to gain their trust in what you are teaching.
You must be as present as you can although you are teaching a distance learning course. Short biographies of both the professor and the students will help build rapport within the classroom.
Both instructor and students create a mini bio, to better connect and help students understand instructors background and experience.
Great course that will allow me to implement what I learned.
Welcome and introductions on the first day of class may include a brief biography of oneself, which is a way to demonstrate one's expertise as a nurse educator.
In order for your students to get to know you in an online learning/virtual learning environment, you need to make a descriptive Bio. with a picture. It helps the students understand who you are without actually engaging with them in person. Helps the students understand your level of professionalism and credentials.
Online teaching can be as effective as in person teaching as long as the instructors establishes a presence