Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It helps to walk you through important techniques and strategies when teaching online. Also, It provides sensitive ways to help students to achieve their goals.

I love this training because it is helping me to be more efficiant with online terms and teaching tools.

I learned that there are several ways to interact with students.

So far, this course has been a good review of content I understand.  I have been fortunate enough to take online faculty training and online course development courses in the past.  The main issue I always have to focus on is maintaining faculty presence in online courses.

I found interesting about the first module is the structure of the online course. I need to figure out how to bridge the gap between in person engineering class and virtual engineering class. We can use any tools and materials to build projects when we are in person. An instructor needs to modify the project with materials that sutdents can find at home. Therefore the virtual engineering class is still fun and engaging. 

support is vital to students' comfort and learning.

How to best keep the student engaged and best teaching strategies

I learned the importance for not only the instrucotr but the student to be familiar with the infastructor of the learning management system and all the funtions it serves.

I learned that as an online instructor - there are several ways to interact with the students and make sure that they are undersatnding the information in which you are delivering.

It is important to be efficient in the functionality of the LMS. The better trained I am in the system, the better equipped I am to help students. It is one more layer of student support. 

I related the things we are supposed to do to the LMS system that we use on campus.

The common goal of the course is important for the instructor to be mindful of when conducting a course. Instructors want to teach "their way" but can wander off course if not careful. 

Familiarize myself with the management system, course setup up and how to interact with the students.  Being able to interact and communicate is essential for a successful course. 

Understanding the online platform is necessary to be an online or blended instructor.  Without an understanding, trying to teach is only going to frustrate the students because you can't teach something you don't know yourself.

With e-learning the instructor has to know the electronic system and course material along with the IT team availability to assist the online students for a successful transition of learning moving positively forward. Students frustration from computer glitches can hamper their success to move forward successfully in their area of education was enlightening to me.   

The module reinforced the importance of the LMS technology and the support structures.  These support structures remove barriers to student and faculty access.  In the absence of these supports, students are bound to struggle.  For my part, I intend to develop a more in-depth understanding of the different student supports provided by my institution.

Re-emphasis on the point that we all approach the courses that we teach differently

There are many factors concerning course delivery that affect students as well as instructors ability to achieve a good online course experience. The first thing that comes to mind is organization , which affects both instructor and student. With the instructor being the top tier of the online instruction process, his/her organization is imperative. Knowledge of the online course delivery software and an organized process of delivery can allow the class a good start and a good finish for all involved. Students gain great benefits from this knowledge and organization because they are usually able to navigate smoothly throughout the entirety of the online course, provided that they don't have technical issues on their side.

Providing support to the students will be very important during online learning. In my previous experiences, there were many students who struggled with their lack of computer knowledge and skills. Their lack of skills made it very difficult to achieve all that was required, and there were some who felt that it was impossible and ultimately withdrew from the course and subsequently the program. 

What struck me the most was the need of having the big picture of the course further than our module only. It is critical to understand how the students are exposed to the whole experience and how would it be the best way to fit in that framework.

Sign In to comment