Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Respecting Diversity & Cultural Differences | Origin: ED202

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching English Language Learners --> Respecting Diversity & Cultural Differences

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

ELL students come from very different backgrounds.

Treating everybody the same can be good as long as it does not interfere with their race, religion or other customs.

The teacher must understand that some behaviors that are proper here might not be in their countries and the other way around.

Family life can have an effect on their education.  When they only speak another language at home, it is hard for them to go back and forth.  I can understand this and be patient with them.

It's important to keep in mind student's race, religion and culture. It could have an effect on their education.

I learned that ELL students should not be looked down upon becuase of their lack of english but celebrated for their differences. As a teacher, I need to recognize that their background whether it be nationality, religion, or culture, will play a significant role in their education. 

I have learned tha religion, culture and race play a big role in the learning of ELL Students.

Students may share the same language, but we cannot assume that these students will observe the same cultural practices, or even that they will understand the same types of texts. Within one language, there are variations in grammar use, lexicon, and formality of expression that affect the way students understand and are understood.

Getting to know all of your students is very beneficial.  It helps increase your knowledge of other cultural backgrounds, religions, and races. It helps you understand why some students do certain things in your classroom. 

WE NEED TO BE SENSITIVE OF DIFFERNENCES WHETHER RELIGIOUS, RACIAL OR FROM FAMILY STRUCTURE IN NATURE, ALWAYS OBSERVING AND RESPECTING THEIR RIGHTS.

Our title 6 is so important.  I am wondering what other countries have?

This chapter reminds us to be observant and reflective.

We need to remember that ELL student's culture, race, and religion can affect the way students learn.

Would undocumented students be comfortable with a home visit from their instructor?  

It is clear that ESL learners have special considerations and I will always remember this and continue to facilitate all learners who have communication challenges with English.

Everyone comes from different backgrounds, including the instructor. Taking some time to get to know them and things about them will exponentially help the students feel more comfortable as well as the instructor!

It is extremely important to be aware of our students in the classroom. By taking time to know our students not only by their name but

some of their background we can avoid possible complications. A Instructor needs to be personable, approachable and Kind.  Little signs of care can go a long way.

Instructors have to take culture into consideration.  Just because an ELL student uses English in the classroom they may hardly use it outside of school.

No students should be denied equal education based on Coloe, race, nor religion.  All students  sghould be treated eually

Instructors must strive for awareness of how race and ethnicity play out in the classroom. Resources reflecting diverse experiences should be included in the instructional process. Instructors should seek out resources to help them prepare to work with diverse student populations. 

It is very important for instructors to fully understand cultural backgrounds to be able to properly instruct an ELL student. Cultural differences, family situations are just some of the things that can affect the way they learn and understand.

Sign In to comment