Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Language as a Reflection of Culture | Origin: ED137

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Cultural Diversity: Including Every Student --> Language as a Reflection of Culture

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Each student has his own dialect.  I have a southern drawl myself.   If our cultures clash we must work toward understanding

Students should develop both literacy and language skills. Some students learning English may have highly-developed literary skills that do not immediately show up.

Language ("Mother Tongue") is a part of ones race

Encouraging "Mother Tongue" the learner masters the learning objective while improving comprhension of English and expanding of their first language. The student at this point can be given the chance to learn from other cultures when I assign a group task.

Students have to literate at both literacy and languag. This will help them to be successful in the learning environment, but they also have to understand that literacy in the English language is needed in some fields of expertise that they are working in.

This series has been helpful to me to better understand cultural differences and how ones "Mother Tongue" figures into it.

Being a multilingual person myself, I think it is very important that we encourage students to access their mother tongue when they learn a new language since it helps them to earn easier.  As a matter of fact, being multilingual, helps students to process several languages that helps their brain development.  According to studies from Penn State University. students’ cognitive ability increases due to bilingualism. Language and literacy are interdependent.  Literacy is the ability to use the language. This is something to keep in mind and focus on all students regardless  their linguistic background.

This has been my favorite topic thus far. 

Great Stuff

Second language of a student matters and contributes to understanding the subject they are learningand thank you for highlighting it!

Allow students to use their "mother tounge" to help them become literate in the English language.

It is fascinating to learn about language and literacy as describe in this session. The idea of using inter communication instead of cross communication is an interstin concept. Cross communication presents itself as talking against and doesn't affirm or validate differences in communication. 

Excellent dive. Thank you.

As an instructor, I should learn more about other languages and cultures and encourage students and provide anything needed so a student with a different language can understand for enhancing their knowledge 

Language is a part of one's culture. 

I have appreciated dabbling in a variety of languages through my travels and feel fortunate to have experienced being a minority, as an English speaker. It was truly humbling and an important experience for me to better understand my English language learners. I also have become more critical of 'literacy' programs that fail to make the connection to the local languages that we are trying to also assist students in understanding. Typical reading programs feel like a complete recolonizing of our local students to me.

Language is the articulation of the culture.

This module highlighted the need to allow multiple language learners to access their mother tongue as it actually helps the student when learning new languages.  It helped me to recognize the need to be mindful of this and promote whatever strategies are effective for each student in the learning process.

In alaska the culture is how you speak the english as much as what you are saying.

Sign In to comment