I have learned that as an instructor, it is important to remove bias from education. As this relates to language and literacy. As an instructor, I plan on using the tools and knowledge from these modules, to help my students include "mother language" throughout his/her learning journal.
I know that Language is Important for an instructor to communicate effectively, and I know that it's a part of the students' culture, and it's important to know other languages they know
It help me understand that language is colsely connected to culture and can influence how people feel included, respected, and understood. I learned that the words we choose matter because they can ither build trust or unintentionally create barriers.
ESL students cannot be stereotyped into being illiterate when they may be multilingual and highly literate in other languages. It is important to know the student's home language to support them in their learning.
Understanding the distinction between language and literacy is essential. Students may demonstrate strong literacy skills in spoken and written communication, yet still struggle with the specialized vocabulary and conventions of academic language. Supporting all learners requires meeting them where they are and providing appropriate resources and strategies that help bridge the gap between everyday communication and academic success.
Language is important in order to communicate effectively, and is influenced by one's cultural upbringing.
Language is a part of a persons culture and it is important to know what is their first language and what other languages they arw learning.
Students learn best in the language they understand. Language is a reflection of one's culture, not literacy.
Each student has a "native" language. Dialects in language contain differences in tone and words used, such as slang. Each student should be permitted resources that enhance their learning in the language of their choice
language can represent where a person is from because certain word or slang words are more prominent in certain culture
I learned that the way students communicate and utilize language can reflect their culture. Understanding a student's way of communicating can help reach and meet students' learning needs.
The difference between language and literacy, and how students can be literate with spoken/written words, but not necessarily academic words. Being able to meet students where they are, with appropriate resources, is important with all students.
You really have to meet the learner way they are... Even if this means indentifying what is the native language and working to ensure the comprehension is happening.
Learned that language can reflect culture and identity, respecting students and how they communicate.
I learned that when evaluating a student's performance, it requires a clear distinction between language and literacy. When educators conflate the two, they risk identifying a student's cognitive abilities and academic potential. Also, I appreciated the fact that students who are orally fluent often mask their literacy gaps. Some may struggle with a written exam, and the instructor may wrongly attribute it to a lack of effort or a learning disability, rather than a lack of academic language proficiency. This was a great read.
Language is important to how different cultures communicate. Make sure your students have the access they need to communicate and express themselves to succeed in your course
In this module I learned that language is an important aspect of all cultures. I also learned that being literate means being able to use the language.
Language is part of their culture, but change/effect how one is able to communicate verbally and in writing.
I better understand the difference between language and literacy and why it is important for helping students have better outcomes.
This went over the connection of language and culture. How the use of their "mother tongue" will help them learn the material as its how they connect and their thought process.