Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In "English Only",", I found it very interesting in the  study that bilingual children matured earlier, are more comfortable with diversity, exibit social adaptability, and identify with ethnic groups. If the study shows this . Why are there not more shools starting children at a younger age being bilingual in the United States?

the module showed me that we need to allow multiple language learners to use their native tongue when they are trying to learn a new language. 

I learned the importance of taking into consideration the native (mother) tongue of the learners in an effort to enhance the learning experience.

Language can influence student perceptions of the course material.

Students who speak more than one language may be processing differently as they translate from their native tongue into English.   If an assignment is to be completed in English, encourage the multi-language speaking students to actually do it in English rather than in their native tongue and then translating it to English.

This was fascinating.  I love how they compared language to literacy.  I also appreciated the Basic language skills compared to the Academic language.  They are VERY different!   I have met so many people who are illiterate in Spanish...so the Spanish handouts are pointless, even though they speak it fluently on a daily basis.  So we try...anyway.  I am bilingual and my students LOVE it when I throw in some Spanish words...as some communicate the idea better than in English.  They ALWAYS smile and then they all open up and talk about their own "Spanglish" experience!  It's fun to see them take the walls down.  

Helpful course

Culture, and language is are essential parts of education development. Students should be allowed to use their "mother tongue" to help them with their learning abilities.

We have to avoid making assumptions about ESL and ELL learners because of their skills in the English language. Recognizing their cultural differences and facilitating their learning should be the priority of the instructor.

I learned that students who are speaking and learning English as a second language will still need to utilize their "mother tongue" or thier native tongue as part their learning process. Also, even if. as a professor, I am bilingual, and that will increase a level of comfortability for the student; the student must still be required to complete assignment using the English language if that is the dominant language. 

Language and literacy are key components of teaching and learning for all students. 

Sometimes it is difficult for ESL students to comprehend the material in a group situation, but with a little patience and some 1 on 1 after lecture time, I find that they can comprehend the material better.  It also helps to have a supportivr group of classmates who will help that person to understand. So I guess if you can help foster a culture in the class where everyone is supportivethen that can make all teh difference

Even if the academic program in in English only, it would be great to have a bi-lingual instructor or student who could assist students with understanding.

The importance to recognize that a multilanguage class should be promoted, students with a mother tong other than english, should be encourage to use it as support, and when needed. Recognizing that we live in a diverse society which enreaches society as a whole. Accepting multilingual, is a sign of respect for each individual's culture. It is also important for education institutions, to have some bilingual teachers. Our goal as instructors is to pass on our knowledge to students, and, if for their anderstanding it means, supporting them in their mother tong, it must be done.

We should allow students to express themselves in their "mother language", if this helps them to learn. 

The difference between language and literacy was enlightening. I'll keep that in mind when working with ESL students, and try to assist them with their English language  and literacy skills.

maintaining yourown language while learning another will make it easier

Teachers can and should encourage emergent bilingual students to use their mother tongue in order to transfer meaning in academic settings. I think this module so far has missed the opportunity to encourage teachers to frame bilingualism and multilingualism as assets in the workplace, rather than deficits in the classroom. Hopefully this is coming next. 

Allowing someone to speak and use their "mother tongue" to help them in different literary and dialogue situations will help with their success in learning a new langugage/lieracy.

Different language maybe spoken by a person in a different culture

Sign In to comment