Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology is definitely a boon to education in the classroom, but I fear that it erodes the validity of testing.

I learned that I need to get over it (smile).  Tech is here and I need to learn how to use all aspects in order to effectively select and implement those that are relevant in a nursing course.

Technology got us through last year. While it's frustrating for older generations, it isn't going away, andpart of our job is to help all students become more comfortable with technology in education.

I generally have a significant split between my GenYers and GenZers in terms of professional digital literacy. Half are able to compose professional emails, while the other half use broken sentences. It's fun to see the different ways students learn and how I can adapt my courses to their learning needs. I also really liked in this module where it was mentioned that technology is a tool, not a crutch, which I think many individuals from multiple generations think. And like all tools, if handled properly and used correctly make it very effective, or disasterous in the hands of the apathetic or instrucor desperate to connect students with an older delivery method or hesistance to adapt new technology.

Two new terms I will take with me:  Digital Native and Digital Immigrant

Reply to Stefano Bartoli's post: Totally agree, Technology is best utilize if educators will be more understanding and adept with the trends. But the human factor should not be forgotten

Instructors must have clear understanding if the technology they are using in the classroom or they will appear insincere. This is not something I thought of previously. I will make a bigger effort to understand technology and the necessary terminology. I would never want the student to think I was doing something just to do it. 

Today, we need technology for everything especially when many of the assignments are done online 

Technology is a huge help in education.

Technology can be a really important tool we can utilize in the classroom. In addition to that, it helps students prepare for the reality of the work environment which is highly technological based. However, we must take in consideration if our students have any technological challenges and have available resources to support them.

This is a good one but, I must admit, I am intimidated. As a GenXer, I am not exactly a digital native. I have always preferred a number 2 pencil to anthing with a sreen and a battery. It looks like I need to get over my fear and laziness and start bringing it into my classroom, in order to better teach (and reach) my students. 

In this module I learned important information about Generation "Y" and "Z" and technology.  The use of technology is important for teaching all generations but specifically Generation "Y" and "Z".  I think the human connection between an instructor and student is one of the most important aspects of teaching effectively with or without use of technology.  

Technology is important especially in the medical field, but I have started finding myself having to completely teach different students how to turn the computer on.  Not just because of age but cultural and ethnic backgrounds are an issue.  This really helped me understand the issues and be more patient when walking step by step with them.

How technology plays in integral role in the multigenerational and the human interaction aspect of always being connected and technology at your fingertips. 

Technology has become a staple in the learning environment. The evolution from books to computers, tablets and smart devices has changed the course of learning. 

I learned Gen Y and Gen Z are not so different.

technology is and will be important for teaching, but a balance between in person and virtual connection will always be needed 

Technology has many benefits, but some drawbacks in the classroom.

The need to stay informed has compelled the younger generations to make staying up with technology a priority and we need to be keeping that in mind as we pursue lessons that lean into this.

One of the downfalls of technology is that as an instructor, we can become reliant on the successful operating of our own technology in the classroom.  I can not tell you how many times my ability to teach has been hampered because the computer will not connect, or the WiFi is not working, or the system is down.  Although teaching with technology is a benefit, we are really at the mercy of it operating successfully or else.

Sign In to comment